The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
divider (Read 2746 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
divider
Jul 10th, 2007, 6:20pm

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding the divider: say I have a divider working at 2GHz, for some reason, there is another signal is added to this 2GHz, (say 2.1GHz), I am wondering whether or not this divider will divide this 2.1GHz? or can I see a signal of 1.05GHz at the output? what's the reason for that?

Thanks

nxing

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Re: divider
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2007, 8:15am

the prescaler, or divider you mentioned, normally has a frequency range of operation. I believe if it works at 2Ghz, it will work at 2.1Ghz as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
SemiLeon

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2007, 10:57pm

Hi, nxing,
If there is a pair of spurious tone on both side of VCO output spectrum, the offset frequency will not be changed by divider. for example, the VCO frequency is 2GHz, and the spurious tone is at 2.1GHz, at the output of divider, you will see the main tone at 1GHz, and spurious tone at 1.1GHz.

Leon

View Profile   IP Logged
imtired

Santa Rosa
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2007, 2:11pm

I agree with SemiLeon, that you will see the same offset tone at 1GHz, but it will be smaller.  My reasoning is if you add 0.1 GHz to 2 GHz sinewave, and then limit the signal, what you have essentially is an FM signal (or PM).  The same edge excursions at the input will show up on the output as well, with the same frequency, 0.1 GHz.  Since the period at the output is twice the input, therefore the frequency (or phase) deviation will be 1/2 of the input.  On the other hand, if AM is causing the tone, then the output tone will be basically a feed-through of the input tone, at 0.1 GHz offset, also a smaller amplitude, unless the isolation of the divider really sucks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.