The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 1st, 2024, 4:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question about 4th-order LPF in CP-PLL (Read 3140 times)
SemiLeon

A question about 4th-order LPF in CP-PLL
Jul 13th, 2007, 7:22am

Hi, all,
I have a question about the design of 4th-order loop filter for charge-pump PLL. Dean give a method to design a loop filter by given pole ratios. In dean's method, the poles of the filter are all on the real axis, but I think it is possible to design a filter with a pair of complex pole, and It may have better attenuation.

Please give me some advise.

Thanks and best Regards.

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re:  A question about 4th-order LPF in CP-PLL
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2007, 12:49am

Hi Leon,
If you use a complex pole pair to improve the attenuation, you are very likely to make the phase response worse.
So I expect you'll find it very hard to get a PLL with 4th-order complex-pole loop filter stable (especially over PVT & mismatch).

BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
SemiLeon

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2007, 5:34am

Hi, BOE,
Thanks for your reply.
I think if the two highest frequency poles are made complex pair, the stability problem may be less grievous. I just want to find a way to design a passive loop filter with a pair of complex pole, and do some experiment. It may be better than we thought.

Leon

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2007, 12:51am

Hi Leon,
Let me know what you find out. I'm very interested in it. Didn't ned it yet, though...

BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.