The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on how to bias the lpf after mixer (Read 2587 times)
James Bond
Community Member

question on how to bias the lpf after mixer
Jul 16th, 2007, 4:18pm

Hi, all,

Can someone give me a suggestion on how to bias this low pass filter which does not affect mixer?

The left block is passive mixer which is very sensitive to the load I think , the right block is active low pass filter.

curve_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: question on how to bias the lpf after mixer
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2007, 6:51pm

I take it you don't want to use resistors...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:09pm

Hi, aaron_do,

You are quite right, and you know exactly what I am talking about.  That's true, I can use two resistor to connect between + and - input, with the ground connecting to the middle of the resistors, but this will load the mixer, usually , we want capacitive load instead of resistive load. Could you suggest me any ideas ? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

James

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2007, 6:30pm

Hi James,

If you don't want to use resistors and you don't want to load down the mixer, then your only other option is to make the passive mixer provide the DC level to the filter and remove those coupling caps. If you put this biasing on the LNA side of the passive mixer, then the biasing will load down the LNA, but you can get away with using a much smaller resistor.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.