The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 5:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Max. Vds for 3.3V pMOS in 0.18um CMOS process (Read 3534 times)
Terence

CAD Lab.

Taiwan, R.O.C.
Max. Vds for 3.3V pMOS in 0.18um CMOS process
Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:24pm

Hi,

I would like to operate 3.3V pMOS of generic 0.18um CMOS process in the following conditions.
Bias: Vds=5V ; Vgs=3.3V ; Vsb=0 ; Vb=0
Size: W/L = 20/0.3

Is there any realibility or punch-through issue?

Thanks.
Terence

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: Max. Vds for 3.3V pMOS in 0.18um CMOS process
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2007, 7:33am

Of course there are reliability issues: you're using the device outside it normal operating conditions. The process design guidelines should be able to tell you what the maximal Vds is at which most devices will break down.

Consider also that you are putting a field of 5V/0.3um = 1.67e+07 V/m across the channel. You might expect some HCI issues, I would say. I presume this is the minimum length for a 3v3 compliant PMOS device?

What could be worse is that the model parameters are not valid in this operating region - that really depends on the characterization procedures for the given device. Again, the documentation of the process should be able to give you the details.

View Profile   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Re: Max. Vds for 3.3V pMOS in 0.18um CMOS process
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2007, 11:14pm

usually foundry datasheet will have the maximum volage that can be applied for the device.
so that the device will operate within the safe reliability limits.
Also the time duration for which the device is connected to the higher voltage. For shorter time it is ok.
Another way is to have devices in series so that Vds is distributed, when higher volatge need to be applied.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.