The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 8:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the wide input voltage range in dc-dc converter (Read 8256 times)
feiyue

the wide input voltage range in dc-dc converter
Jul 28th, 2007, 4:43pm

hi all,

I find that many commercial dc-dc converter product can tolerant wide input voltage range,such as 2.7v to 20v.I am curious that why they will not induce reliability issue for the controller and power transistors. For example,if we design the converter using 0.35um cmos technology,the nominal operation voltage is 3.3v,but if the operation voltage is 4.5v or higher,then the gate oxide of the digital circuits in controller and power transistors will break down. I am not sure whether my concern is correct.Does anybody have some ideas or explanation on it?  I wish my question would not be too simple.:)

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Re: the wide input voltage range in dc-dc converte
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2007, 7:23am

Hi,

In some process technologies there are more than one version of transistor. E,g there are Thicker oxide transistors (in addition to normal oxide transistor) which can stand higher gate voltages. Some fab processes offer transistors for high voltage applications e,g 32V etc.

If your process does not has such transistors.. then I think it would not be possible to design such a wide range dc_dc converter in such a technology.

Kind Regards,
Faisal Mateen

View Profile   IP Logged
feiyue

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2007, 10:24am

hi Faisal,

Thanks! if the input voltage is not so wide such as 3-5v,is it  a good solution to implement a internal linear regulator  to set a proper power supply for contrller IC ? then i think it maybe possible. I am not sure whether it is true.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2007, 2:35am

Hi feiyue,

Sure, you can use a linear regulator for getting a fixed internal supply. Just keep in mind the additional design overhead, power consumption,
and the drop introduced by the regulator.

If your controller really needs a constant, ripple-free supply and you have no constraints on power consumption and/or have external components
available for filtering your supply (assuming ripple from controller), then it may work well for you. Usually though, it is advisable to design your
controller to be relatively insensitive to supply, especially if the supply does not vary much, as you say.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
feiyue

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2007, 10:06pm

hi Vivek,

thank you very much for your suggestion!

feiyue

View Profile   IP Logged
edwintsu

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2007, 4:53am

Hi all,

I have a similar question.

If the min. voltage range become lower , such as 1.8V, how to deal with it typically? (At corners of some process the sum of VTHN + |VTHP| is larger than the min. voltage.)

Use voltage boost circuit (charge pump) + voltage regulator to set the fixed internal voltage?

Thank you.

Edwin

View Profile   IP Logged
jordan76

Truth always lies in
the details.

China
Re: the wide input voltage range in dc-dc converter
Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2008, 11:41pm

Hi edwintsu.

In this case using voltage boost circuit (charge pump) + voltage regulator can be an option; often buck-boost converter can be better choice depending on your system spec: space, cost and efficiency etc.

Truth always lies in the details Smiley

regards,
Jordan76

regards,
Jordan76
View Profile jordan76   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.