The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Buffer design for Passive differential mixer (Read 2767 times)
sandman
Community Member

Buffer design for Passive differential mixer
Aug 13th, 2007, 4:24am

Hi,

Would anyone have literature on the design of a buffer at the output of a passive double balanced mixer (with no DC voltage available at the output of the mixer as part of a zero-IF receiver) ? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Buffer design for Passive differential mixer
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2007, 7:41am

I'm not sure about any papers, but one way to do it would be something like this...

----------output
                  __|                  
LO-----||----||__
              |       |
             <       |-----||-----input
   Rlarge <       |
             <       >
              |       > Rlarge
        Vbb+Vth  >
                      |
                     Vbb

where Vbb is the buffer biasing voltage and then you gotta do the whole double balancing and of course design the buffer. Note that you should be able to put Vbb and its Rlarge on the other side too.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2007, 5:05am

Thanks aaron_do.

I think the one you've shown below is an LO buffer. I was looking for one that's used to interface the passive double balanced mixer with an off-chip measurement equipment. Would you know more abt it ?

Cheers !

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2007, 5:46pm

Hi,

i think you've misread me. Sorry for the confusion, that's supposed to be a switching transistor for your passive mixer. i.e you have to use 4 of those transistors in a double balanced mixer. The bias Vbb will go through the switching transistor and allow you to bias your buffer.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.