The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 12:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
large signal noise figure (Read 4142 times)
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
large signal noise figure
Aug 15th, 2007, 7:27am

I am designing an LNA and I am interested in its large signal noise performance, that is, what is the NF of the LNA in the presence of a strong out-of-band blocker.  I haven't done this type of simulation before.  My thought is to use PSS in SpectreRF with the simulation set to a -23dBm blocker at 3MHz offset (for GSM).  Then I will run a PNOISE analysis and divide the integrated output noise by the output-referred noise of the source resistor.  Is this the correct way to address this issue?

thanks,
Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: large signal noise figure
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2007, 3:31am

Yes, if you run pss using the blocker, then pnoise (use pxf to ensure you get the LNA gain right, it should be reference sideband 0 for pnoise).
The pnoise sweep should be 3MHz offset from relative harmonic 1 (or absolute frequency pss freq+3MHz). Always check the spectre log as it tells you what its doing at the top of the pss or pnose run.
If you use your LNA source and load as ports (ususally of 50 source port and large load port resistance to mimic mixer load) then you can get spectre to calculate NF directly for you.
So you should see with a low power pss tone (ie small blocker) your NF will be the same as linear noise/sp analysis. When you increase the pss tone (for example to -23dBm or above) the NF will increase. you can print the noise summary (fill in the frequency relative if the pnoise sweep is relative) to see where the contributors are.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hunter_BJUT

Beijing
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2007, 4:26am

no, muti-stimuli, use qpss

View Profile WWW Hunter_BJUT   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2007, 1:55pm

Hunter_BJUT wrote on Aug 27th, 2007, 4:26am:
no, muti-stimuli, use qpss

In the case in question of an LNA with one big blocker, there is only 1 large tone, so qpss in not necessary.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.