The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
current steering logic(CSL) buffer (Read 7530 times)
dandelion
Community Member

current steering logic(CSL) buffer
Sep 03rd, 2007, 11:54pm

Hi,
In the mixed signal design, to reduce the di/dt noise, CSL(current steering logic)attract more and more attention.

I am not familar with the CSL and I want to know is there any mature product of mixed mode IC used this technique which ahve replaced conventional static inverter?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: current steering logic(CSL) buffer
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 10:53am

Dear,

read any decent paper on SerDes RX/TX (PCI Express, SONET, XAUI...) and you will find lots of implementation examples.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
dandelion
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007, 6:39pm

Visjnoe wrote on Sep 4th, 2007, 10:53am:
Dear,

read any decent paper on SerDes RX/TX (PCI Express, SONET, XAUI...) and you will find lots of implementation examples.

Regards

Peter

Hi,Peter,
Thanks for the reply.

I guess you mean the CML logic( current mode logic). Here, my question is I need the CSL logic buffer to replace the oringinal static inverter buffer(CMOS level). So, the requirement is critical for the low power, high driver capability. I found the Vol and Voh spec of my CSL logic implementing cmos level is  not good as static inverter, especially it would be worse when the load sink or source some current. Although its di/dt noise is indeed excellent, I wonder if any product use this technique to implement a CMOS level.

Thanks
Dandelion

View Profile   IP Logged
email_gz

gaoz.mail@gmail.com
Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2007, 9:50pm

Hello all:
       I think current steering logic(CSL) buffer  is just CML. Except CML Driver, maybe Voltage Mode Driver can be used for lower power, but this type of driver is hard design becasue of Z match,and often have small output swing. AMD HT3 IO-link use Voltage Mode Driver with current mode Channel-Pre-Eq.

View Profile email_gz email_gz   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:27am

Hello All,
Does anyone has a reference about CSL. I didn't found what is the when compared to CML.
Cheers,
Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2008, 6:45pm

Last I checked -

CSL is the same as differential CML

If you research ECL (Emitter coupled logic) designs you will find info on ground referenced CML.
(Look around for data on MECL 10,000 - Motorola's old ECL stuff)

That is an old bipolar version of singled ended CML.

THere exist level shift and convert circuits between CSL and vanilla CMOS logic, amplification to recreate a rail to rail logivc level, in essence.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.