The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 4th, 2024, 12:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Over current protection (Read 2389 times)
quangtay

Over current protection
Sep 04th, 2007, 2:14am

Hi eve'one,
Can anyone tell me about the "Over current/temperature protection" in a design? If you have a circuit/temp please share with me.
Thanks,
quangtay

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Over current protection
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 2:05pm

Hi,

For over current protection, one simple and effective method is to use a sens resistor and a switch in series with the current you want to control and a comparator. That comparator would be looking at the voltage drop accross the sense resistor and would switch when a certain threshold is reached. When this happens, you could do several things. One option is to use negative feedback: the comparator would remain in the linear region and should control the switch in series with the sense resistor. In this way, by means of the feedback the switch would have its on resistance modulated in order to keep the voltage drop accross the resistor constant.

Hope this helps
Tosei.

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
quangtay

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007, 8:07pm

Hi tosei,

Can you tell me more detail about sense resistor in IC design? Does it have any secial character? (I use Cadence software). Because I want to use it in internal protection. You mean, that I should use the negative feedback signal and compare it with a ref signal. I wonder how to find a stable reference signal? (I think to find a stable signal in IC with high accurate is not easy  :-[).

Thank you very much.
quangtay.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2007, 12:12am

The reference voltage is usually not the problem. An (untrimmed)
bandgap should be accurate enought for an over-current protection
(...and usually a bandgap-voltage is available on every IC).
But the process variation of the sense resistor (normal resistor) can
cause large variation. But there you can find many publications dealing
with that problem.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.