The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jun 30th, 2024, 1:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Delay element (Read 1748 times)
dgsenthilkumar

India
Delay element
Sep 06th, 2007, 4:17am

According to my knowledge there are only two types of delay cells are availabe, 1)inverter chain 2)current starved inverter. In this current starved inverter consumes less area but highly unstable across corners, and the other way for inverter chain. And because of this i gues mostly inverter-chain(or bit modification of that) is used. Is it correct?

Anybody knows about other types of delay cells?  Because i could not get anything on this. Please give me reference if anyone finds.

View Profile dgsenthilkumar dgsenthilkumar 2876 Senthil Senthil   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Re: Delay element
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2007, 5:17am

Hello Senthil,
"Noise" is very important problem to be considered when Current Starved Inverter is to be used as delay cell in VCO/Frequency Synthesizer.
You might want to take a look at delay cell used in PLL which I guess is called as "Symmetrical PMOS Load delay cell". There are some ways to make it less sensitive to Process and Temperature variations.
Google " Low-Jitter Process-Independent DLL and PLL Based on Self-Biased Techniques" by John G. Maneatis.

Packiaraj.V.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.