The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to measure bandgap? (Read 3873 times)
lightgo

how to measure bandgap?
Sep 12th, 2007, 9:36pm

i want to measure the psr,intergrated noise from 100Hz to 100KHz,and temperature coefficient
who can give me some help

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Re: how to measure bandgap?
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2007, 8:13am

I have an even more basic question.. I want to measure the bandgap voltage and its variation w.r.t to the frequency.

I intend to put a probe/test pad (opening in the passivation layer) to measure the bandgap voltage. The equipment in our lab has a dc - probe needle and triax cable (approx 100pf/m) .. the problem is that bandgap is too sensitive to load capacitance.

Do I need to use buffers.. or better cables.. what are the possibilites?

Kind Regards,
Fas

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2007, 8:16am

Hi Faisal,

Where do you probe the bandgap voltage? Would you please show a schematic and which node do you probe?

I don't understand the reason why the bandgap voltage is sensitive to the load capacitance.

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2007, 9:52am

Hi,

I wanted to probe the bandgap at its output. The bandgap output is sensitive to capacitance, because the bandgap core consists of a two stage error amplifier, to equalize node voltages. This is quite a standard design, discussed in text books.

Now i dont intend to observe the output of the bandgap directly, but indirectly after a buffer.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008, 4:36pm

Faisal wrote on Sep 13th, 2007, 8:13am:
Do I need to use buffers.. or better cables.. what are the possibilites?

Kind Regards,
Fas

Hi Faisal,

You could try out active probes (which usually have much smaller capacitances than the passive ones) and shorten the cables as much as possible.
Buffers are another alternative but might offset to your measurement.

Hi ligthgo,

One option to measure noise is to record at least 100 sweeps of the bandgap voltage signal, 0.01s long each, from the scope. This way you are letting the noise content of 100Hz an above to take effect on the signal, and at the same time taking fairly enough number of samples. You could then capture the datapoints from the scope and process it with matlab, by using one of the PSD estimators it provides. After such calculation you will be able to see the profile of the noise signal and its total power by simply integrating it.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.