The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3D simulator? (Read 4149 times)
novice_designer

3D simulator?
Sep 17th, 2007, 8:17am

Hi,
Can you please let me know if there are any 3D field simulators out there which I could use? Are there any available free?
If not what would you recommend? I need to study the on-chip inductor behavior in the presence of a metal ground plane.
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: 3D simulator?
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2007, 8:30am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
novice_designer

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2007, 9:25am

Thanks a lot for that quick response Frank. Will take a loot at it.

Also, I am little confused when they say 3D planar field solver.

Why do they term it planar? Does it mean that structures are planar and the solver is 3D?

Does 3D refer to spatial dimensions? What exactly is the difference between 2D and 3D solvers?

I would really appreciate if you can throw some light on that.

Thanks again.

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2007, 10:09am

Hi,
Check http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1095265293 where t Frank himself clarifies this issue, basically 3D planar solver (also called as 2.5D solvers) are limited to planar geometries like microstrip,coplanar transmission lines or like your case an integrated inductor, for designing something like a dish antenna or a waveguide it should be used a 3D solver like Ansoft HFSS.
Hope it helps,

novice_designer

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2007, 10:39am

Thanks for pointing out that link, will read through that. Although i am looking at inductors, I am trying to study the effect of having thick metal strips on the sides of the chip, connecting to ground plane, and its effect on inductors and RF circuits.

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2007, 11:58am

Hi,
This case of study I think fits right into planar EM, I think that everything that can be view in a cross-section like a "sandwich"-i.e. different layers of metals over dielectrics- can be simulated with programs like Sonnet and Momentum.
Hope it helps,

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.