The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 10:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO start-up problem (Read 778 times)
mobil

Australia
VCO start-up problem
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:44pm

Hello all,

Just mentioned a old topic about how to trigger the VCO in simulation. I know it was discussed before in
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1066188298/7
In above post, the suggestion is to add impulse (voltage or current) to 'kick' VCO or play around the initial conditions.

But, I remember there was another simple method (I can't find the post in the forum) mentioned that just setup the
'maxstep' in transient simulation (SpectreRF). e.g. if the frequency of vco is 5 GHz, let the maxstep = 5p. After doing so,
the 'impulse' component isn't necessary and the VCO will start by itself.

Unfortunately, I can't remind the detail of how to setup this 'maxstep' under the operating frequency. Does someone
know this or find the original post? Thank you.

Mobil

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: VCO start-up problem
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2007, 8:50am

To start an oscillator you need to kick it somehow. You can use either a finite duration source or an initial condition. For ring oscillators, I prefer initial conditions. For resonant oscillators I prefer a damped sinusoid with a frequency that matches the oscillators. Set maxstep small to nurture the oscillation (oscillations when small can be quenched by large timesteps).

This is all discussed in some detail in my book (http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/dg-spice/index.html).

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mobil

Australia
Re: VCO start-up problem
Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2007, 6:15pm

Thanks your reply, Ken.

I'll read that carefully.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.