The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre Model for High Voltage MOS (Read 11580 times)
k-one

Spectre Model for High Voltage MOS
Oct 30th, 2007, 8:31am

all,
I need a spectre model for our HV Mos.... what is the industry standard for MOS high voltage model- MM20? EKV-HV?

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Spectre Model for High Voltage MOS
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2007, 11:34am

k-one wrote on Oct 30th, 2007, 8:31am:
all,
I need a spectre model for our HV Mos.... what is the industry standard for MOS high voltage model- MM20? EKV-HV?

thanks

The Compact Model Council is expected to vote on a standard by the end of the year.  MM20 is already in the public domain; HV-EKV is another candidate (and I believe its Verilog-A code is available); HiSIM-LDMOS is the third candidate (from Hiroshima University).  HiSIM-LDMOS looks good from the presentations by the Japanese CMC members, but the code is held under non-disclosure agreement (NDA) until/unless it is accepted as the standard.

I'll also mention that spectre has a built-in model (spectre -help hvmos).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
k-one

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2007, 3:02am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Oct 30th, 2007, 11:34am:
k-one wrote on Oct 30th, 2007, 8:31am:
all,

thanks

The Compact Model Council is expected to vote on a standard by the end of the year.  MM20 is already in the public domain; HV-EKV is another candidate (and I believe its Verilog-A code is available); HiSIM-LDMOS is the third candidate (from Hiroshima University).  HiSIM-LDMOS looks good from the presentations by the Japanese CMC members, but the code is held under non-disclosure agreement (NDA) until/unless it is accepted as the standard.

I'll also mention that spectre has a built-in model (spectre -help hvmos).

Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks a lot for the info. I did spectre -h and notice that spectre support MM20 through level mos2002. But I didn't see any ekv or hisim High Voltage model listed. Only normal ekv and hisim listed. Is there any other name to represent these 2 high voltage models?

What is the performance of the built in model- hvmos? Also, I noticed there is another one named ldmos model in the list but I am not sure the performance of this model.... do you have any ideas?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2007, 6:51am

k-one wrote on Oct 31st, 2007, 3:02am:
Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks a lot for the info. I did spectre -h and notice that spectre support MM20 through level mos2002. But I didn't see any ekv or hisim High Voltage model listed. Only normal ekv and hisim listed. Is there any other name to represent these 2 high voltage models?

What is the performance of the built in model- hvmos? Also, I noticed there is another one named ldmos model in the list but I am not sure the performance of this model.... do you have any ideas?

I've never used the built-in ldmos nor hvmos.  I also don't believe the HV-EKV or HiSIM-LDMOS models are installed in Spectre, but you might find HV-EKV in Verilog-A that you could run in Spectre.  A "release candidate" (SC1) of HiSIM-LDMOS is in the latest (2007.09) HSpice.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
k-one

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2007, 5:45pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Oct 31st, 2007, 6:51am:
k-one wrote on Oct 31st, 2007, 3:02am:
Hi Geoffrey,

I've never used the built-in ldmos nor hvmos.  I also don't believe the HV-EKV or HiSIM-LDMOS models are installed in Spectre, but you might find HV-EKV in Verilog-A that you could run in Spectre.  A "release candidate" (SC1) of HiSIM-LDMOS is in the latest (2007.09) HSpice.

Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks. Looks like MM20 is the best candidate for my HV spectre model. I think Built in model not really good as it is not one of the CMC candidate for HV model.

I have another question. Can this MM20 run with hspice? Currently, we are using level 66 for our hspice HV model. That means I need to extract 2 models for my HV process. Level 66 doesn't support spectre.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2007, 4:28am

k-one wrote on Oct 31st, 2007, 5:45pm:
Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks. Looks like MM20 is the best candidate for my HV spectre model. I think Built in model not really good as it is not one of the CMC candidate for HV model.

I have another question. Can this MM20 run with hspice? Currently, we are using level 66 for our hspice HV model. That means I need to extract 2 models for my HV process. Level 66 doesn't support spectre.

Thanks

Have you tried using level=66 parameters with Spectre's hvmos?  I may be completely misremembering something, but I thought that perhaps Cadence had licensed it from Synopsys.

MM20 is available in Verilog-A, and this will run in HSpice (assuming you have the VA compiler option with your copy of HSpice).

k-one

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2007, 5:57am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Nov 1st, 2007, 4:28am:
k-one wrote on Oct 31st, 2007, 5:45pm:
Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks

Have you tried using level=66 parameters with Spectre's hvmos?  I may be completely misremembering something, but I thought that perhaps Cadence had licensed it from Synopsys.

MM20 is available in Verilog-A, and this will run in HSpice (assuming you have the VA compiler option with your copy of HSpice).

you mean copy parameters from my hspice level 66 into hvmos model and run the simulation... I never try it. But what I know, level 66 is a Synopsys proprietary. Only recently, they allowed ICCAP as a extractor. Before this we need to use Synopsys extractor- Aurora.

Can we directly run MM20 in hspice. Sorry, I don't familiar with verilog-A

thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2007, 8:21am

k-one wrote on Nov 1st, 2007, 5:57am:

There's not a level for mm20, but you do something like:

.hdl "mos2002t.va"
x1 d g s b mos2002t vfb=-0.45 vfbd=-0.05

(This syntax is for the Verilog-A in an enhanced Spice3f5, but the syntax in HSpice is *very* similar, and I think they also support .model cards for VA.)

Verilog-A is a behavioral modeling language; you write the equations of the device in the language, and the simulator invokes a compiler and dynamically links the resulting object file.

k-one

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2007, 4:03am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Nov 1st, 2007, 8:21am:
k-one wrote on Nov 1st, 2007, 5:57am:

There's not a level for mm20, but you do something like:

.hdl "mos2002t.va"
x1 d g s b mos2002t vfb=-0.45 vfbd=-0.05

(This syntax is for the Verilog-A in an enhanced Spice3f5, but the syntax in HSpice is *very* similar, and I think they also support .model cards for VA.)

Verilog-A is a behavioral modeling language; you write the equations of the device in the language, and the simulator invokes a compiler and dynamically links the resulting object file.

Thanks. We have decided to use MM20 from NXP as our high voltage model for spectre. Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.