The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 1:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vbic HBT rth & cth conversion SpectreRF to HSPICE (Read 3269 times)
imtired

Santa Rosa
vbic HBT rth & cth conversion SpectreRF to HSPICE
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:05pm

HI all,

I am in need of some help converting VBIC HBT parameter units for the self-heating thermal resistance and capacitance "rth" and "cth" from SpectreRF to HSPICE.  I found that the untis in SPectreRF for these two parameters are ohms and Farads, respectively, but in HSPICE the units are in K/W and J/K.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
RU

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: vbic HBT rth & cth conversion SpectreRF to HSP
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007, 1:04pm

I think the HSpice units are correct, and the Spectre folks are perhaps a little sloppy.  You shouldn't need any conversion.

"rth" is implemented as a resistor (in terms of its matrix stamp), but the "current" that flows through it is heat (power) and the "voltage" across it is really temperature (in Kelvin).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
imtired

Santa Rosa
Re: vbic HBT rth & cth conversion SpectreRF to HSP
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2007, 6:24pm

So it was just a matter of describing the units in different domains, HSpice in thermal domain, and SpectreRF in the electrical domain.
That makes more sense to me now, and so I don't need to do any conversion of the parameters Rth and Cth.
Thanks Geoffrey.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.