The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 8:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA input impedance (Read 5238 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
LNA input impedance
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:54am

Hello everybody,

I have a CMOS LNA and the topology is the classic cascode architecture with inductor degeneration at source of input device. what I find is that I can see a negative Z11 (real part) after the S-parameter analysis. Have anybody met the same problem? how come the real part become the negative? what's the physical meaning?

Thanks !

BTW, this is with 65nm technology.

nxing

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: LNA input impedance
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2007, 3:01am

Hi nxing,
I think that the problem arises from the parasitic capacitance (maybe csb) that contributes as a negative real part in the input impedance. I think that you will need to increase the value of the degeneration inductance to compensate it or you maybe will face an unstability problem.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2007, 11:28am

Hi Didac,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, what I found is that the Cgs of this technology is very small. So what I do is to put a C parallel with Cgs to slow it down. I didn't see other people use this technique. So far the simulation goes quite well, just not sure there are any drawback for this design or any potential problem.

Regards,

nxing

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2007, 12:56am

Hi nxing,
I've seen this technique before,in fact we had a LNA manufactured and measured with this C, but we didn't encounter any negative impedance problem. Have you checked the two stability factors, not only in your band of interest but for a wide bandwidth?
Hope it helps,

noiseless

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2008, 9:50pm

I encounted the same thing. The s11 is within the unit circle, however, real part of Z11 is negative. How it comes? anyone can give explain?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2008, 12:24am

S11 corresponds to the input impedance when the other port(s) is/are terminated with the reference impedance (usually 50 Ω). Z11 is the input impedance when the other port(s) is/are open.

northfish

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2008, 2:28pm

I think adding an extra capacitor in parallel with Cgs would decrease your LNA gain, since the Q of the input network is decreased.  

By the way, I don't quite understand why the real part of the Z11 could be negative.  My thinking is that probably you got a small capacitance in series with Ls, and at the operating frequency the small cap negated out your degeneration inductance and made the real part of Z11 negative.

northfish

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.