The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA DESIGN METHODOLOGY (Read 1219 times)
yakeen

LNA DESIGN METHODOLOGY
Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:06pm

Hi Everybody;

I want to know more about LNA DESIGN METHODOLOGY. Does anyone know good methodology using CMOS technology ? Some people begin with Optimum width equation ( Thomas Lee Book) without understand how to choose Qsp factor !?  

Please, I need your help in order to fix some misundertanding.

Best regards

Yakeen

View Profile   IP Logged
yakeen

Re: LNA DESIGN METHODOLOGY
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2007, 12:53am

I means the following equation

Optimum_width.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2007, 2:50am

Hi,
Try to check the following tutorials:
http://www.zen118213.zen.co.uk/RFIC_Circuits_Files/MOS_CS_LNA.pdf-doesn't account explicitly for power consumption constrains,testbenches in ADS-
http://www.eel.upc.edu/rfcs/Material/LNA_design.pdf-two methods Shaeffer and Lee's power constrained and Inductor and power constrained,testbenches in CADENCE-
Also check:
"Noise optimization of an Inductively Degenerated CMOS Low Noise Amplifier",Pietro Andreani and Henrik Sjoland.
"A power constrained Simultaneous Noise and Input Matched Low Noise Amplifier Design Technique",Trung-Kien Nguyen,Yang-Moon Su and Sang-Gug Lee.
Or the chapter on LNA design of Thomas Lee Book "The Design of CMOS RFIC"
Or the root of all evil : " A 1.5 V, 1.5GHz CMOS Low Noise Amplifier",Derek K.Shaeffer,Thomas H.Lee
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
yakeen

Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2007, 12:02pm

Hi didac,

Thanks a lot for your answer.  I have also some questions for you?

1) Does Qsp depend on Process technology?

2) Does LNA Design become very hard ?

3) What's about future challenges in LNA Design ?

I need your guidance before deciding to continue in this field. I have visited your website, it's good one. Is there possibility for PHD in your laboratory ?

Yakeen

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2007, 3:18am

Hi yakeen,
Like we say in my country "N'hem a pams"-raw translated "step by step"-
1)QSP depends on γ,δ,α so it's technology dependant, if not specific info about noise parameters are available then the rules of thumb for long-channel,short-channel regime applies.
2)This "recipes" that I referenced in my opinion have a one big advantatge: they give you a starting point for design, LNA optimization can be hard or unnecesary depending on your target specs( for example if linearity is an issue and the LNA designed following the recipe doesn't fullfill it the party begins-maybe with a Volterra analysis or with multisine analysis-), also see that this design tutorials are intended for narrowband application not broadband design.
3) Future challenges? At this point-and the above points as well- I will be glad if other forum members enter in the discussion but I will take the risk of pointing a couple of issues.
a)Multistandard front-ends: as more and more communication protocols erupt it becomes clear(in my opinion) that it's necessary to integrate as much as possible in the same IC-GSM+WLAN+Bluetooth+Wibree?- and try to share blocks between protocols, you can see in another way with the so called Software Radio or Digital Radio were the aim is to move the ADC as close as possible to the antenna to realize all analog baseband functions in digital domain(in the last DCIS symposium professor Jose Silva-Martinez made a good tutorial about this) and there's a need of a versatile RF front-end.
b) With the increasings of operational frequencies due to CMOS scaling a song comes into my mind(When two worlds collide), I mean for years you can talk about two types of engineers:RFIC and Microwaves engineers(included those people that work with GaAs,InGaP or similar and made MMIC's), but now CMOS it's entering the mm-wave domain and I think that design techniques that were useless in RFIC(like s-parameters inside the IC) can start to become useful to take into account.

PS:about the lab thanks for your words, I want say nothing since I'm inside and I don't want to be seen either as egocentric or someone with false modesty I just will say that I consider myself below the average of lab members. For the possibility of PHD here I will say that you can try, but the difficult part-like always I suppose- will be to obtain funding with the additional problem that two professors are in a sabbatical this year-doing research outside the university-, I suggest you to contact with prof.Gonzalez,Aragones,Mateo or Altet(in no particular order) since they are the professors in the RF part and talk to them.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
silentgun

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2008, 2:11am

hi,

if process parameters are not available, how to calculate Qsp precisely?
is "Qsp=4.5 in T.H Lee's book" accurate enough for 0.18um  MOSFET process?

and as i know, BSIM3 model doesn't include induced gate noise, then how to do noise match using spectre?  
is Qsp the only thing to be concern in noise optimization (regadless of distortion and gain)?

thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.