The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 9:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
differential source follower (Read 6195 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
differential source follower
Jan 02nd, 2008, 5:35pm

Hi,

Can anybody refer me a differential source followers circuit with common-mode feedback? I can not think one of them.

Thanks

Nxing

View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Re: differential source follower
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2008, 5:25pm

So nobody pick up this topic?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2008, 5:50am

Hi,

I don't know of a differential source follower but perhaps you can get the job done by using a DDA (differential difference amplifier) in
unity gain configuration. Search for differential difference amplifier in Google or IEEE Xplore. The authors of the original paper are
Eduard Saeckinger and Walter Gugginbuehl (IEEE JSSC).

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2008, 8:15am

Hi nxing, when you say "differential source follower" do you mean two source followers which are differentially driven ? If so, the standard technique is to average the output signals by taking the centre-point of two resistors connected between the outputs, and using this in a feedback loop to control the common-mode levels into the source follower gates. This is covered in several textbooks, such as Razavi's "Design of Analog Integrated Cricuits" section 9.6.

View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2008, 3:56pm

Thanks for the replies!
The usage of this block is actually btw and mixer and filter. actually, I don't even sure there is a really "differential" source follower exists since I can not find a "virtual ground point" like the common source differential pair. The output of mixer will directly connect to the gate of the source follower (DC coupled) so, even I can get the common-mode output voltage , I don't know where to feed it back? Any suggestions?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2008, 5:50pm

Hi nxing,

I might be misunderstanding your question but from your last description it looks you are trying to force the output common mode of your differential source follower by means of sensing it and somewhere feed the signal back.
If that is the case I hardly see how that will work since there is no way to let the circuit work as a source follower and force the output common mode at the same time, if the CM signal is what you are interested in. If you only care about the differential signal you might end up using a differential pair.

tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.