The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation time point?? (Read 5293 times)
rajdeep

UK
Simulation time point??
Jan 15th, 2008, 2:14am

Hi all,

Is the following statement true considering a spice like simulator (Cadenc spectre actually)

If I add a 1us clock source using an ideal voltage source in a design, which is pretty fast (takes say around
200us of time step without the clock source) the simulation time step becomes smaller and cannot go above
1us. This is because of the clock source.

Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Simulation time point??
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2008, 2:28am

The highest frequency in the solver's matrix defines the time steps (if well above the accuracy criteria).
Your statement is true.

But if you just want to reduce the simulation time step... there's an simulator option for max_timestep...

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2008, 3:53am

Hi stefan,

No no I do not want to increase my simulation speed up in this way, rather I have to add a clock and I find the simulation time is increasing due to this. This was expected!! But what I could not understand that the simulator takes steps greater than 1us!! How is it possible if I have a clock continously ticking at 1us, and not only that (possibly due to this) when I plot the clock waveform it is not showing a perfect 1us clock!!! rather at many places...like the following...
[img][/img]

As you can see after sometime the clock waveform is wrong. Infact the simualtion time step suddenly starts to become more. The clock was generated by using an ideal pulse type voltage source from analogLib.

Rajdeep

d3awindow.jpeg

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2008, 9:15am

Well, I just came to know that one has to specify the max step!! otherwise spectre can miss simulation
points. That came as a surprise Huh

View Profile   IP Logged
John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2008, 10:00am

Rajdeep,

This is surprising and not the correct behavior. What version of Spectre are you using ? Can you reproduce the problem in a simple netlist ?

Thanks,
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2008, 9:25pm

The version is this.
sub-version  5.10.41.110605

Well, I just added 1K resistance across the pulse generator and the problem got solved!!!!!
The other and more deterministic way is to force the max_step = 500ns (1/2 T of clk).

By the way I'm using spectreVerilog simulator..

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2008, 12:31am

Generally this occurs when there is a very large voltage else where in the circuit, perhaps because of of some idealized behavioral models in the circuit. Try setting the transient option relref to alllocal.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.