The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 9th, 2024, 5:06am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
spectre transient noise (Read 33150 times)
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
spectre transient noise
Feb 27th, 2008, 6:24pm

Hi
I have been trying transient noise simulation on a switched capacitor filter. Without noise enabled, I was getting an SNR of greater than 90 db, but with noise enabled the SNR dropped to 42 dB.
The output power spectral density shows a flicker noise kind of noise floor. I forced the flicker noise parameters in the models to zero, but despite that I am not seeing any improvement in the SNR and also the output PSD continues to shown an 1/f shape. I am simulating an audio circuit.

Any insights on what is going on would be helpful.

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: spectre transient noise
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008, 2:40am

Maybe you should check the generation of the clock for the switches ...
You can use the simulator to check for the noise sources that distribute to the output. What does it say ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008, 5:57am

Hi
Today I tried with noisefmin greater than noisefmax (basically, to eliminate flicker noise contribution) and the SNR improved to 70 dB (about 30 dB improvement).  With flicker noise parameters in the models zero, I can not understand how spectre is generating flicker noise.  I generated a report, in Ocean,  on the models and confirmed that the flicker noise parameters are zero.

The clocks are  from an ideal non-overlapping clock generator. Also, how can I use the simulator to tell me about the contribution of each device to the output noise.

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2008, 4:52pm

Hi,

A couple of quick questions:  is the SC circuit an integrator?, what do you have at the input of the SC filter?

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2008, 9:42pm

Have you considered using SpectreRF's PNoise analysis?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2008, 5:58am

Hello
Yes the circuit is an integrator, and the input is an ideal sine wave.
Ken, with flicker noise parameters made zero (BSIM4 parameters with fnoimod=1, and all flicker noise parameters, noia noib noic including kf made zero), pnoise, unlike transient noise, shows flicker noise disappearing.

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2008, 7:12am

I'm not completely sure about this but, what if you have a white noise component at the input of your SC integrator? My point is that the white noise, once integrated, looks like flicker noise at the output of any integrator (I guess). What source of white noise do you have at the very input of your integrator? May be the input switches?. An easy test would be just to put ideal switches at the input just to see if your flicker like output noise gets reduced in the transient sim....

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2008, 7:59am

Hello Tosei
The idea that integrator is coloring the white noise is really possible, and I am planning to explore it further. But, then why should making noisefmin greater than noisefmax impact the output noise psd.

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #8 - Feb 29th, 2008, 8:49am

Hello
Perhaps, I am confused about one more thing:

For noisefmin = noisefmax condition, does spectre use the thermal noise parameters of the devices (or just the 4kTBR equation for the resistors)? The transient noise application note says that, "spectral noise density will be zero above noisefmax, constant below noisefmin, and will follow the device noise equation in between".

How does spectre decide the noise magnitude below noisefmin?

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Feb 29th, 2008, 2:04pm

Trying to perform flicker noise simulations with transient noise is expensive and error prone. So, given that SpectreRF is giving you the expected results, why are you bothering with transient noise?

-Ken

panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #10 - Feb 29th, 2008, 2:54pm

Ken, the idea was to find SNR and harmonic distortion etc., under real signal conditions.

Thanks
Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2008, 7:28am

Hi,
i noticed that i don't have the transient noise in my cadence version, what is the version u r using?

View Profile   IP Logged
kDaniu

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 6:22pm

does anybody How to use the same spectre advantages "transient noise" in hspice (I mean auto generation (on the fly) the noise during transient simulation) ?
right now to get the noise I just put the artificial noise using pwlf component, but that is not comfort in the case of long time simulations

thanks
Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2008, 7:22am

I've heard that Eldo has transient noise, but I'm not aware that HSpice does (yet?).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
kDaniu

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2008, 4:22pm

I know that such possibility is absent.
but I'm asked about any another mechanizm to get it in scheme (at least on the imporant places)..
maybe present some way to auto generation (on the fly) the noise during transient simulation f.e. by using Monte Carlo possibilities (right now this way do not help me) etc... Sad

thanks,
Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.