The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 14th, 2024, 6:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Continous-time CMFB question (Read 8372 times)
skythunder

Continous-time CMFB question
Feb 29th, 2008, 1:12am

Hi, everyone,

I designed a folded-cascode fully differential opamp, and the structure of the CMFB is two differential pairs, which is shown in the picture.
After simulation , I found that this OPAMP works well in the continous-time configuration, like a Multiple-feedback Lowpass filter. However, oscillating occurs when this filter was connected aftert a switched-capacitor filter. Then I just made a simple switched-capacitor amplifier using this fully differential opamp, the same thing happened. I guess this opamp is not suitable for SC circuit, but I want to know what the reason is .
Can anyone tell me the possible reason please ? thanks !

FD_OPAMP.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Continous-time CMFB question
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2008, 2:01am

Have you checked the phase margin of your common-mode regulation? It might be very low so that there is a lot of ringing when the common mode changes quickly as it probably happens in your SC circuit. In your continuous-time circuit, the common mode is probably not changing so that you don't see the problem there.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2008, 7:17am

Frank,

I guess he is talking about oscillation on the output differential signal. Although the CM feedback might be marginal, if the opamp is not unbalanced you should not see oscillation on the output diff signal, but only on the output CM signal.

Skythunder: is it the output diff signal that oscillates?

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
skythunder

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:08pm

I also doubt the problem is caused by the instability of my CMFB loop.
But I really don't know how to check the CMFB loop' phase margin of my OP schematic .
I tried to break up the connection between CMFB and the main OP, and give a AC signal input to the broken place of main OP , and then watch the output from CMFB. However, the differential pairs of CMFB worked in the linear region.
so i cannot get the right infromation from it. Can anyone explain how to check the stability of my CMFB loop in detail?

by the way, here is a figure of the output of a simple SC_amplifier using the OP. It is the differential output signals of the OP that oscillated.

oscillation.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:30pm

You can use Spectre's stb analysis to simulate the loop gain of the common-mode loop (and also of the differential-mode loop). This was discussed in this forum a few days ago at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1204029625.

HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:46pm

May be it is simply more load capacitance (degrading phase or gain margins) when you use the opamp as a building block for the SC filter as opposed to the continuous time approach?

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:35pm

Well, his circuit is really an Operational Transconductance Amplifier (OTA) with a current source at the output. With such an amplifier, you usually have the dominant pole at the output of the amplifier, which means that the circuit will become more stable with an increased capacitance at the output. However, I agree that somewhere in his circuit, there is probably a loop with insufficient phase margin (might be a common-mode or differential-mode loop, inside the amplifier itself or together with the surrounding circuitry).

HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2008, 2:58am

Hi Frank,

I certainly was not clear enough, but you're absolutely right and actually that is what I assumed by suggesting a higher load cap might be causing stability problems.
There might be an "almost dominant" pole in the amplifier topology whose stability easily degrades as soon as you connect a certain load capacitance. However I insist on suggesting that in case the amplifier is not unbalanced the stability problems should be associated to the differential loop.

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2008, 10:42pm

in a switched cap configuration an OTA (thats what the schematic is) is being briefly disconnected from its loading environment.

Last I checked, an OTA is dependent on the output load primarily for establishing dominant pole placement.

So, how about asking the question - for all states of operation (all switch situations)
what is the phase gain margin relationship of both the differential system, and the common mode system????

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.