The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 3:47pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gm-C Filter design .. (Read 1415 times)
sanredrose

Atlanta
Gm-C Filter design ..
Mar 05th, 2008, 2:20pm

The following are my requirements to design a Low Pass Filter using Gm-C / OTA-C Topology. Any ideas on how to go ahead with this ?

Low-Pass Filter:
50Hz corner frequency,
100Hz stop-band frequency
-50dB distortion
SNR = 50dB
Maximum total capacitance = 2pF

Saravanan T K

View Profile sanredrose codename_47x   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: Gm-C Filter design ..
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2008, 3:10am

Hello!
Ok, I see you're a new member.
This forum is to share ideas & exchange know-how and not a platter for getting your designs done!!

I've seen this happen too often when people just post their problems without giving it much thought on their own, worse even just posting specs to be met for the final design!  :o

I'd recommend you (and this goes for all newbies) first come up with your design approach and the roadblocks you face in meeting some spec or simulation issues. Then, search with keywords over here (oftentimes, your question may have been raised by someone else before). If you still have some queries, post the topic addressing the specific question in mind not throwing around your whole problem to the forum!

Please bear in mind several talented designers take out precious time from their schedule to answer queries here.

I hope you apprecitae this.

-topquark

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2008, 9:59pm

Time to start doing some research on gmC and filter topology issues! LOts of books on filters out there, and lots of JSSC papers on gmC filter circuits.

Otherwise, time to hire a consultant!  ;D
I really dont think you are going to make the capacitance number, but total C plays off of noise so that is TBD.

Seriously, if you need help, let me know.

sanredrose wrote on Mar 5th, 2008, 2:20pm:
The following are my requirements to design a Low Pass Filter using Gm-C / OTA-C Topology. Any ideas on how to go ahead with this ?

Low-Pass Filter:
50Hz corner frequency,
100Hz stop-band frequency
-50dB distortion
SNR = 50dB
Maximum total capacitance = 2pF

Saravanan T K

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Saravanan T K

Atlanta, GA
Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2008, 7:43am

I did find papers relevant to Gm-C filter design but i could not find any material that covers the design aspect of Gm-C filters. I previously worked on Switched Caps and found Allen & Holberg to be an useful text ... But i couldn't find any for Gm-C filters ...

I have another question ... .I found people in my class using the Filter Design Toolbox of Matlab to obtain transfer functions for the filters. From my observation i find that its a toolbox for Digital filters like IIR / FIR ... Can that be used to design an analog filter ? Though it sound silly ... i am just curious to know what it is ...

The race for perfection has no finish line !!!
View Profile Saravanan T K codename_47x   IP Logged
panditabupesh
Community Member

Toronto
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2008, 12:55pm

Matlab, even for a digital filter design, transforms the specifications to analog domain, designs an analog filter and then using bilinear transformation designs a discrete version.  A Matlab discrete filter always has zeros at z=-1  (a consequence of bilinear transformation).

Bupesh

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2008, 3:20pm

just getting the poles and zeros right, you can do that in Matlab or even on an Excel spreadsheet (phasor method is the easiest math i think) as for books on the topic? Not too much that I am aware of, some journal papers are about it. You got to develop a transconductor (think differential OTA or similar) and then a bi-quad (4 transconductors and 2 capacitors) and then you need a tuning method (I tune the -6db point using a stepping and comparison method), and you are done.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2008, 7:16am

See doc/signal in MATLAB.
Then move to Category of Analog Filters.

In Signal Processing Toolbox, there are many functions useful for analog filters.
And I'm using optimization tool box.

You can build complex continuous-time integrator model in simulink.
Also you can build model for emulation of OTA-C in simulink.

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008, 4:18am by pancho_hideboo »  

signal_toolbox.jpg
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.