The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 4:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pll simulation using phase domain models (Read 94 times)
rfmems

pll simulation using phase domain models
Mar 31st, 2008, 2:03am

Hi all,

I am new to verilog-A simulation of pll. When I read Ken's "Predicting the phase noise and jitter of pll-based frequency synthesizers", in the VCO model

Theta(out)<+2*'M_PI*gain*idt(V(in))

So here the Theta(out) will increase infinitely unless V(in) is zero,  then small signal simulatoin doesnot work, how can I solve this problem?

Another question is, I converted all the simulated block phase noise (dBc/Hz) into "power" by 10^(L/10) and then input them into noise table, is that the right way to do it?

Thanks a lot
chenyan

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: pll simulation using phase domain models
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2008, 7:39am

rfmems wrote on Mar 31st, 2008, 2:03am:
Hi all,
I am new to verilog-A simulation of pll. When I read Ken's "Predicting the phase noise and jitter of pll-based frequency synthesizers", in the VCO model
Theta(out)<+2*'M_PI*gain*idt(V(in))
So here the Theta(out) will increase infinitely unless V(in) is zero,  then small signal simulatoin doesnot work, how can I solve this problem?

Use "idtmod()".

rfmems wrote on Mar 31st, 2008, 2:03am:
Another question is, I converted all the simulated block phase noise (dBc/Hz) into "power" by 10^(L/10) and then input them into noise table, is that the right way to do it?

Maybe it works.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2008, 11:59am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2008, 12:10am

Thanks a lot! pancho_hideboo.

Yes, I think idtmod will work, but we have to do pss+pnoise right? And we will use again 2 frequencies, one reference and one vco.

But Ken mentioned with phase domain models, using only small signal simulation like AC or noise will do. Would there be an alternative way to do so?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2008, 12:41am

rfmems wrote on Apr 1st, 2008, 12:10am:
Thanks a lot! pancho_hideboo.
Yes, I think idtmod will work, but we have to do pss+pnoise right? And we will use again 2 frequencies, one reference and one vco.
But Ken mentioned with phase domain models, using only small signal simulation like AC or noise will do. Would there be an alternative way to do so?

Although I don't know what you like to do, the following might be helpful.
$CDS_INST_DIR/tools/dfII/samples/artist/rfLib/osc

Do you understand phase model and voltage model ?

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.