The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:22pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Design of Rail-Rail OTA in 45nm Process (Read 17247 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Design of Rail-Rail OTA in 45nm Process
Apr 02nd, 2008, 7:39am

It finally comes. Process scaling is so aggressive that designing a simple op-amp becomes so hard.

In 45nm process, Vth of transistor is as high as 450mV-500mV while the voltage supply is as low as 0.95v. Any good idea to design a rail-rail OTA in this kind of process?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: Design of Rail-Rail OTA in 45nm Process
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:36am

Hi Neoflash,

I also encountered the problem of high vt at low supply. I think multi-stage (e.g. nested-miller) amplifiers
are a very good option for continuous-time circuits. Of course, the design is more complex than for a single-stage
OTA, but you can achieve high gain and bandwidth without the need for stacking more the 3 devices (take a look at the
paper from G.Mitteregger from ISSCC 2006).
For discrete-time (switched-capacitor) I haven't found a good solution, yet.

I am just interested: Does the technology your are using also offer low-vt or even analog process options (which are not available for you)?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:09am

Actually there is low-vt device, however, the threshold voltage is just 20-30mv lower than normal Vt device.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2008, 5:42am

You could also try to exploit RSCE and back gate biasing to lower threshold voltage.

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2008, 8:04pm

ACWWong wrote on Apr 4th, 2008, 5:42am:
You could also try to exploit RSCE and back gate biasing to lower threshold voltage.

Hi, Wong:

Thanks for the head up. I was always trying not use that technique because they look risky.

Is this inevitable choice?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2008, 1:44pm

Typical threshold setting is 20% to 40% of the Vpower.

Thats a "got to have" to get generic CMOS logic to plug and play.
What you are stuck with is closer to 50% which makes life difficult at best.

Can you request a secondary power supply at a higher voltage? (without violating Vgs restrictions?)
Can you create your own power supply by charge pumping?

There are ways of doing circuits with only three elements stacked power to rail, but things like cascodes and similar are not going to be in your tool bag.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2008, 1:58pm

neoflash wrote on Apr 4th, 2008, 8:04pm:

Hi, Wong:

Thanks for the head up. I was always trying not use that technique because they look risky.

I don't see it as risky, if the device models in your pdk are good.

View Profile   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2008, 10:02pm

ACWWong wrote on Apr 12th, 2008, 1:58pm:

Hi, Wong:

Hi Experts,
    Can anyone provide me Input Rail-to Rail opamap design steps for the figure attached herewith along with proper o/p summing ckt  ( is from Ieee paper [i]"A Compact Power Efficient 3V CMOS Rail-to- Rail Input/Output Operational Amplifiers for VLSI Cell Libraries" by Ron Hogervorst , J.P.Tero, J.H.Hijsing [/i] )
  or  any suggested papers or documents to help me in this regard

for designing steps even i referred books written by authors (opamp theory and design, low Voltage analog desin considerations ...etc) i have request to work on 0.18u technology

Regards
Kiran

Rail-Rail_Opamp.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2008, 6:14am

kiran123 wrote on Apr 14th, 2008, 10:02pm:
ACWWong wrote on Apr 12th, 2008, 1:58pm:

Hi, Wong:

Hi Experts,
    Can anyone provide me Input Rail-to Rail opamap design steps for the figure attached herewith along with proper o/p summing ckt  ( is from Ieee paper [i]"A Compact Power Efficient 3V CMOS Rail-to- Rail Input/Output Operational Amplifiers for VLSI Cell Libraries" by Ron Hogervorst , J.P.Tero, J.H.Hijsing [/i] )
  or  any suggested papers or documents to help me in this regard

for designing steps even i referred books written by authors (opamp theory and design, low Voltage analog desin considerations ...etc) i have request to work on 0.18u technology

Regards
Kiran

This is not rail-rail since output requires 2xVdsat to keep gain.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2008, 7:36am

Neoflash is right: Kiran, The figure you attached doesn't show the rail-to-rail output stage, but only the first stage of the amplifier.
For design steps: I think the amplifier is basically a two-stage amplifier with a folded-cascode first stage (with PMOS and NMOS diff. pair in parallel) and
a class A push-pull second-stage. All those techniques are well covered by text books (e.g. P. Allen, CMOS Analog Circuit Design).

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2008, 11:37pm

Hi thanks Berti,
     I agree with you that input stage is one of the many techniques of rail to rail constant gm stage and whereas o/p is not o/p rail to rail one , at present i am looking the design steps of this input rail to rail constant gm stage + suitable and simple o/p stage as adder

in this regard i don't think book allen is explained about ( input rail to rail constant gm techniques) if so do tell me chapter no( chapter 6 discusses with Class A and Class AB kind of opamap o/p stages not rail to rail input or o/p stage design rite?)

if you can forward any good documents or referencess exactly to aid this design  will be really helpful

thanks
Kiran

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2008, 3:16pm

Input rail to rail design is typically down with a PMOS differential pair and an NMOS differential pair structure -

Each has its own current source, and each has its own "current mirror diode" active load.

The second gain stage of each device mirrors out as a current, and then the signals from the two structures are summed together, and used to drive the output driver.

The concept is roughly illustrated in the attached picture. Although this implementation uses diode connected loads, but the general idea is shown.

Picture1_001.gif

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
kiran123
Community Member

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2008, 9:12pm

loose-electron wrote on Apr 17th, 2008, 3:16pm:
Input rail to rail design is typically down with a PMOS differential pair and an NMOS differential pair structure -

Each has its own current source, and each has its own "current mirror diode" active load.

The second gain stage of each device mirrors out as a current, and then the signals from the two structures are summed together, and used to drive the output driver.

The concept is roughly illustrated in the attached picture. Although this implementation uses diode connected loads, but the general idea is shown.

Hi loose-electron,
       thanks for your post , this looks very different i have not seen this structure anywhere in the textbooks, so no idea on how to design to get constant gm over entire input common-mode range

i have doubt regarding this can you explain the need of feeding the o/p (n1,n2) o/p of PMOS stage to NMOS stage loads  @ p3,n4 through transistors P8 and n4 ?

do let me know regarding this rail-rail design which is the best book? (i have refered many of them listed in above) but none of them gives design strategy as the one Allen holberg gives

thanks
kiran

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2008, 6:54am

loose-electron wrote on Apr 17th, 2008, 3:16pm:

Doing this design in 45nm becomes extremely difficult...

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2008, 10:18am

Hi Neoflash,

Would you please comment why you think that this structure might be difficult to realize in 45nm.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.