The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 2:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SNR: AC VERSUS TRAN (Read 2165 times)
superpfff

SNR: AC VERSUS TRAN
Apr 07th, 2008, 3:53am

Hi.

I designed a CTIA (Capacitance TransImpedance Amplifier) based on a Common source (CS) amplifier using cascoded devices. It is a classical cascoded common source biased by a low voltage current mirror. Theory shows:
    From the input referred noise perspective, cascoded devices show the the same performance than a simple common source amplifier
    Moreover, for the output, it's been proved that the SNR at the output gets better

The weakness, compared to the classical CS, is the voltage excursion. We lose 2 times VDSsat.  It means that the capacitance will get less "charges" with the cascoded device than with the simple CS. To me, it implies that SNR has been damaged because of the lack of excursion.

What's your opinion? Some tips to put that on equations?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: SNR: AC VERSUS TRAN
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2008, 7:15pm

Hi,
I think you are just limiting the output dynamic range while improving (or at least keeping) the SNR. Assuming your cascode does not add any noise, then both the input noise and signal will get amplified by the same number (disregarding frequency domain considerations) so SNR is the same. It is just you can accomodate less signal (and less noise) with the cascoded version.

Hope this helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
superpfff

Re: SNR: AC VERSUS TRAN
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2008, 7:13am

thechopper wrote on Apr 7th, 2008, 7:15pm:
Hi,
I think you are just limiting the output dynamic range while improving (or at least keeping) the SNR.
Assuming your cascode does not add any noise, then both the input noise and signal will get amplified by the same number (disregarding frequency domain considerations) so SNR is the same. It is just you can accomodate less signal (and less noise) with the cascoded version.
Hope this helps
Tosei

Hi Tosei. thx for the answer.
Input signal and input noise aren't amplified by the same number in cascoded devices. Because of quadratic relationships, noise progression is of squareroot type. So that at the end, cascoded devices improves SNR.
So my question is: is the output dynamic range improves or not the SNR? I can't prove it, but it seems to me that, in large signal,  the more dynamic, you have the better the SNR is.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.