The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RSSI (Read 3864 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

RSSI
Apr 07th, 2008, 5:31am

Hi all,

what kind of accuracy do we normally see in the RSSI? My thinking is that it is difficult to properly define the receivers gain since the LNA and mixer gain an easily vary by a few dB. You can make a very accurate channel fitler and VGA i guess...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: RSSI
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2008, 5:52am

aaron_do wrote on Apr 7th, 2008, 5:31am:
Hi all,
what kind of accuracy do we normally see in the RSSI? My thinking is that it is difficult to properly define the receivers gain since the LNA and mixer gain an easily vary by a few dB. You can make a very accurate channel fitler and VGA i guess...
thanks,
Aaron

It depends on required input dynamic range and calibration's accuracy. For example, use compensation table determined by calibration procedure.

If you adopt complicated calibration over temperature, supply voltage and input frequency,
accuracy of less than +/-1.5dB is very possible.
Here you need temperature sensor, ADC and EEPROM, etc.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2008, 7:39am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2008, 12:57pm

this is the reason every cell phone on the planet goes thru calibration and storage of some tweak values that are unique to the chip set in the phone. Not able to design around it, or at least it hasnt been done yet.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2008, 3:31am

Hi,

thanks for the replies. I took pancho_hideboo's reply to mean automatic calibration during operation. Are you, Jerry, talking about calibration of the chip itself (for instance trimming of resistors)? Also, why would you need such accuracy in the RSSI? I understand you may want to limit the amount of power transmitted to and from the cell phone, but to whay accuracy?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2008, 3:40am

aaron_do wrote on Apr 8th, 2008, 3:31am:
Also, why would you need such accuracy in the RSSI? I understand you may want to limit the amount of power transmitted to and from the cell phone, but to whay accuracy?

For example, very high accurate transmit power control is needed in CDMA application.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2008, 3:42am

Hi,
I think that it depends on the system, I don't think that it's needed the same accuracy in a Bluetooth like system(where you use RSSI for power saving) than in a mobile phone system(that control cell handover or cell breathing in the UMTS system).
Hope it helps,

didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2008, 3:43am

yups... pancho was faster than me writing...

loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2008, 3:24pm

adjustment values are a stored numeric, dumped into flash in a cell phone, not used to trim the chip. Essentially adjustments done in Software (32dbm out is setting 11111 on one phone and 11110 on another kind of thinking)

All phones (CDMA and GSM) need to adjust power output, thats inherent to the system needs.
Accuracy required is within 1-2 db if I remember correctly.

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.