The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 8:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to make the ring vco start? (Read 3051 times)
neil

how to make the ring vco start?
Apr 20th, 2008, 8:59am

hi,everyone,
  i am design a 3-order ring vco with the CSL(CSA) delay cell( single input),
it doesn't start up.and i don't know what level  the CSL input should be biased to get the gain A0>=2.
it looks like A0>=2 can't be obtained. i guess the input MOS is in linear region,and it 's gain is very small.
...i use the .ic inatiation ,and the vco can start.but it can start without giving a  inatiation.
..i don't know why...anyone can help me?   thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: how to make the ring vco start?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2008, 9:05am

Maybe it's not the A0, but missing transient noise sources or even better missing initial conditions that will make the whole chain even _start_ oscillating. An insufficient A0 should show a damped oscillation that would finish soon, is that what you're seeing at your output ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:11am

Neil,

I agree with Stefan. The simulator will even find a stable operating point for a ring-oscillator constisting
of CMOS inverters. However, in reality, this operating point won't be stable because of noise sources, and it will
start to oscillate. Only initial condition can help to happen this in simulation. Nevertheless, you should take a
carefull look at your circuit to make sure that this is really the case.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2008, 3:35pm

Agree with the rest, the op point will get found where everything sits at half scale, because your models are ideal and matched, with no offsets or noise. Generally, an IC on one node of the ring oscillator (tug something off the center line) will get the thing to perform as expected.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.