The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 3:04pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The function of the clamp circuit in DC/DC convert (Read 4042 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The function of the clamp circuit in DC/DC convert
Apr 20th, 2008, 8:35pm

Hi,
I noticed a lot of DC/DC converter(Buck and booset converter) have a clamp voltage at the output of the error amplifier.

I wonder why this clamp circuit is necessary? Is there any speciall considerations?

I found when I added this clamp block, the gain of my error amplifier is decrased a lot(from 55dB down to 25dB). What the priciples should I set the the clamp output?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Monkeybad

Re: The function of the clamp circuit in DC/DC con
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2008, 10:31pm

Hi,dandelion
I guess this clamp circuit is used to limit the maximum voltage at the output of the error amp(Vcomp).
In the initial time the VFB is low and is compared to the VBG (bandgap voltage, 1.25V). Because the high gain of the error amp the Vcomp is pulled up to VDD. This high voltage will cause the converter saturated, which means no matter what the current sensing voltage(VCS) is the output of the following comparator is always low. Therefore a clamp circuit is added to prevent it.
The following figure is chopped from LM3430 datasheet of NS.

ErrorAmp_output.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.