The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 7:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Frequency Divider (Read 109 times)
randyliu

High Frequency Divider
Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:46am

Hi all:
   Recently,I have to design a 4-divider based on D-flipflop(master-slave structure).The input frequency is above 5GHz.
Now I burn totally 13mA current to realise it.But I find if the load capacitor exceed 5 fF,it can not work correctly.
   And another interesting thing is that even though the input clock is only 10mV,it also works,however the input signal is 200mV.
   So what can I do to improve it?

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 2:30pm by randyliu »  
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: High Frequency Divider
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:12pm

Hi,
A capacitance loading this kind of dividers could be a real problem, you must codesign a buffer to isolate the divider from the load(with a small transistor as the input of this buffer to avoid this loading). Also in the layout you must pay attention to the parasitics of the output lines(believe me I expended 4 hours optimizing the outputs of one of this dividers at layout level).
About that a tiny input makes the divider work it's not strange at all, I recommend that you do a 2-D parametric with the input signal(Vin and fin), if you plot like a contour with Matlab you will see the two operating regions(free running and locked divider) and you will also see how depending on the input frequency more or less input level is needed for the divider to work(you can also see if your frequency it's too close to the limit where the divider will stop working).
Hope it helps,
PS:it's compulsory the use of a master-slave divider?,maybe it's worth the effort to see at an Injection Locking frequency divider(the problem it's the area overhead...)

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
randyliu

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 2:27pm

Greatly thanks to didac.
Injection locked divider indeed is a LC-oscillator.Because I need a pair of quadrature output signal,and also the relatively large area for inductor,I choose the D-flipflop based divider,although it consume more power.

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2008, 8:48pm

Hi,

Is your dividers CMOS divider or SCL/ECL dividers?  Do you mean you are designing a divide-by-4 divider?

Hm... I found that it is more tedious to design dividers without static timing analysis especially in large synchronous divider that has many functional options at high frequency. I have to manually look for the timing margin from simulation result for all the flops in the circuits.

You mentioned that your circuit will not work when you attached a 5fF capacitors as your load so it seems to me you have a synchronous design. If timing, noise and power is not an issue, I would suggest simpler design that is asynchronous i.e. cascade 2 simple and identical divide-by-2 together so that optimization and functional check is main on the first critical divider. The 2nd divider will most likely to work at lower frequency and it also serve as a buffer that decouple your critical first divider from your load. That will certainly reduce your risk and shorten the design time.

We have a large synchronous design before and we really have a tough time to ensure it is fully-functional. As mentioned by didac, layout optimization is really crucial.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
randyliu

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2008, 5:15am

I have solved problems now.
 By using a ring osc  based injection locked divider,it is easy to implement a divided by 4 frequency divider.I firstly design a ring oscillator works at 1.9GHz,then inject the 7.2GHz signal to the ring osc.By injection locking,the oscillator switch to work at 1.8GHz.With 4 stage structure,I got a pair fo almost quadrature output I/Q signal.

Thanks to all!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.