The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 11:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
divide-by-2 circuit or duty cycle corrector? (Read 5126 times)
Monkeybad

divide-by-2 circuit or duty cycle corrector?
May 06th, 2008, 1:03am

Hello, everyone!
In order to generate a 50% duty cycle clock, there is a divide-by-2 circuit in PLL.
Sometimes it is called "TFF". But the VCO need to oscillate at twice as high as the desired clock.
This method is simple but waste power and makes VCO hard to design especially for very high clock frequency.
Another circuit called DCC (Duty Cycle Corrector) can be used to achieve 50% duty cycle clock.
It saves more power but maybe introduces jitters in the output clock.
Which method is more often used in a PLL?  :-/
Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: divide-by-2 circuit or duty cycle corrector?
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2008, 4:46am

Hi Monkeybad,

First, I don't think a duty cycle corrector must increase jitter significantly. At least the additional jitter is not larger than a divide-by-2.  
Second, a 2X frequency VCO + divide-by-2 doesn't mean 2X times power logically. For eg. a VCO make of N CMOS inverter, say INVX1, runs at 1X frequency while a VCO made of 2N CMOS inverters (INVX1) runs at 2X freuquency. They consume the same power because the inverters toggle 2N times in the period 1/(2X frequency).  Intuitively, that is due to the inverter does not consume static power. If a VCO is made of the delay cell with static current, say a differential buffer. Assume all the differential buffers are of the save size and the same delay time, a 2X frequency VCO made of the differential buffers consume half the power of 1X frequency VCO because a 2X frequency VCO has half quantity of the 1X frequency VCO.  
Third, it is complicated to choose between 2X VCO and 1X VCO. The decision depends on the jitter requirement and other specific design requirement.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Monkeybad

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2008, 1:37am

Hi, ywguo!
First, as I know, the jitter usually increases when the circuit is much complicated, but not always be true. In this point of view, some duty cycle correctors using feedback control are much complicated than the divide-by-2 circuit, so I think it maybe increase the jitter. Well, if it is not, the things become much better, right?
Second, I don't understand why you say 1X and 2X frequency VCO consumes the same power.
If you want to change the oscillating frequency of a VCO, you turn down or up the current of the delay cell rather than change the stage of the delay cell, isn't it?
Could you explain it in more detailed?

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2008, 9:11pm

Hi,

I agree with Yawei that it is very complicated to choose between 2X VCO and 1X VCO. In RF application, the VCO frequency is carefully planned to mitigate spurs and inteference. The requirement of having a DCC or divider often comes as the result of the frequency planning and the jitter performance of the VCO at the frequency of interest.

Some DCC are considerably low noise, i.e. they introduce noise that is not much more than a simple buffer depends on the overall design of the PLL and DCC. However, a divide-by-2 normally gives better 50% duty cycle than DCC as far as i know.

Regards,
Chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
keikei

beijing
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2008, 8:55am

For 2X VCO, even if the power consumption is not increased, usually its VCO gain will double, which I think is not preferable.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2008, 2:26pm

both methods work.
DCC tends to be used more when power consumption is the most important
div-2 tends to be used more in RF design where duty cycle in a mixer is critical.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.