The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring oscillator phase noise integration limits (Read 3858 times)
Visjnoe

Ring oscillator phase noise integration limits
Jun 06th, 2008, 12:01pm

Dear all,

assume a ring oscillator with a square wave like output and frequency fo. If one wants to calculate the RMS jitter of this oscillator,
one should integrate the phase noise, take the square root and divide by 2*pi*fo.

But what is the upper integration limit of the phase noise integral? In several discussions on this forum, I have found 'fo2/' as an answer.
But this was always for driven circuits like dividers, clock buffers...

Does this also hold for an autonomous oscillator?
If not, what is the integration interval to get an accurate jitter estimate?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Re: Ring oscillator phase noise integration limits
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2008, 3:49pm

Visjnoe wrote on Jun 6th, 2008, 12:01pm:
Dear all,

assume a ring oscillator with a square wave like output and frequency fo. If one wants to calculate the RMS jitter of this oscillator,
one should integrate the phase noise, take the square root and divide by 2*pi*fo.

Which rms jitter is of interest to you?
a) absolute jitter? This is infinite for a free running oscillator.
b) period jitter?
Your method does not yield b), I'm afraid. There are two common definitions for phase noise. If you take the normalized ratio of the power spectrum of the noisy waveform over that of the noiseless waveform, total area under the curve is 1. If you take the power spectral density of the phase deviation (in radian^2/Hz), the total area is infinite. Your circuit simulator does not report rms period jitter?

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2008, 10:13pm by David Lee »  

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2008, 9:00pm

I would think of the equivalent noise bandwidth for your oscillator. Basically, if you open the loop and perform and ac analysis right at the quiescent point at which each inverting stage is switching you will get the gain is maximum. However such gain will decrease with frequency down to a point at which it will not be enough to guarantee oscillation once you close the loop. That would be a good spot for setting the upper limit of the integral for calculating the phase noise.

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2008, 6:13am

Dear,

I mean RMS (period) jitter. My simulator (HSPICE RF) does report RMS jitter but the user has to provide integration boundaries.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.