The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:37am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise simulation of a pulse swallow divder (Read 3524 times)
claudette

noise simulation of a pulse swallow divder
Jun 09th, 2008, 7:40am

I m trying to find out the noise contribution of the pulse swallow diver in a pll. As the division ratio is very high (10000), it is very difficult to simulate the noise using pss+pnoise. Is there a way to simulate the noise efficiently?

thanks
claudette

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: noise simulation of a pulse swallow divder
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2008, 11:33pm

Can you reduce the division ratio without changing the signal path? I would assume that this would not change the timing jitter produced by the divider.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
claudette

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2008, 1:21am

Hi Frank, thanks for the reply.
If I reduece the division ratio,  I would also decrease the noise sampling frequency. After all I get different strobed phase noise. Can I mutlipy the noise by the factor I reduce the ratio, and say this is the phase noise I should get at a high division ratio?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2008, 2:04am

If the timing jitter produced by your divider does not depend on the division ratio (you should of course verify if this is true for your circuit), the phase noise at the output will decrease when the division ratio is increased (same timing jitter/increased period duration).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.