The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
questions on transition filter (Read 7826 times)
veriloganewbie

questions on transition filter
Jun 13th, 2008, 11:42am

I was using transition filters for the outputs of my model to give them a more analog look.
However, when simulating this model, Cadence was having some convergence problems when the output was connected to an ideal current load.

I had to get rid of the transition filter in order to have any simulation results, but the output now looks very digital

Does any of you have any idea what's happening??

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: questions on transition filter
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008, 1:45pm

Perhaps you should show us the model that is causing you trouble.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
veriloganewbie

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008, 4:27pm

a current pulse and a cap of 3nF are connected to the output vddcore, where vddcore1_20, vddcore2_25, and vddcore3_25 are connected together.

vddcore1_20 provides a maximum current of 20mA, vddcore2_25 and vddcore3_25 provide maximum of 25 mA.

I(vddcore1_20) <+ transition( (deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore1_20) - vint )/res_vddcore1_20), td, tr) ;
I(vddcore2_25) <+ transition(deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore2_25) - vint )/ res_vddcore2_25), td, tr);
I(vddcore3_25) <+ transition( (deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore3_25) - vint )/ res_vddcore3_25),td, tr);

deep_pd_off is 0 during deep power mode, where there is no current outflowing.
res_vddcore1_20, res_vddcore2_25, and res_vddcore3_25 are static resisitve values

If all three of these outputs use the transition filter, the simulator will an unsettling voltage output as if the model did not exist.

And are there any filters or functions that can smooth out the outputs other than transition or absdelay?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2008, 11:17pm

The first argument to a transition function must be piecewise constant. As such, you should pull the voltage out. Rewrite them to be something like ...

I(vddcore1_20) <+ (V(vddcore1_20) - vint )*transition( (deep_pd_off /res_vddcore1_20), td, tr) ;

Also, you seem to have current sources driving a capacitor. That will not have a dc solution. You will need to specify an initial condition on the capacitor or tell the simulator to skip dc.

-Ken

veriloganewbie

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2008, 11:56am

Ken Kundert wrote on Jun 13th, 2008, 11:17pm:
The first argument to a transition function must be piecewise constant. As such, you should pull the voltage out. Rewrite them to be something like ...

I(vddcore1_20) <+ (V(vddcore1_20) - vint )*transition( (deep_pd_off /res_vddcore1_20), td, tr) ;

Also, you seem to have current sources driving a capacitor. That will not have a dc solution. You will need to specify an initial condition on the capacitor or tell the simulator to skip dc.

-Ken

Thanks for your reply.  The transient simulation works now.
However, the voltage output does seem to be having any rising time, so the output still isn't very smooth.  Do you have any idea what I shall do?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2008, 6:28pm

Kind of depends on what is happening. Can you give us a picture?

-Ken

veriloganewbie

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2008, 4:11pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Jun 16th, 2008, 6:28pm:
Kind of depends on what is happening. Can you give us a picture?

-Ken

For some reason i can't post the waveform
But basically, the results are the same with or without using the transition filter
The model is ignoring the rise/fall time.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2008, 7:03pm

Well, perhaps you could post the model?

veriloganewbie

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2008, 4:04pm

Thank you for all your help.  The model has lots of inputs and outputs and here are some of them, so let's see if we can discover something.  In this model, input vddd determines the value of an internal voltage source vsup.  I would like to make vsup follow vddd after vddd passes a certain threshold, and make vsup  stay at 1.8V when vddd >= 1.8

parameter real vddd_min = 1.2;
parameter real vsupmax = 1.8;
parameter real imax5 = 5m;
parameter real imax20 = 20m;
parameter real imax25 = 25m;
parameter real vdropmax = 200m;
parameter real tdelay = 100n;

analog begin
     @ (initial_step("ac","tran","dc","xf")) begin
           vint = 0;
           I(vddcore1_20) <+ -50n;
           I(vddcore2_25) <+ -50n;
           I(vddcore3_25) <+ -50n;
           I(vdda_5) <+ -50n;

deep_pd_off = 0;

end

if (V(vddd) < vddd_min)
     vsup = 0;
else  begin
     if (V(vddd) < vsupmax)
           vsup = V(vddd);
     else
           vsup = vsupmax;
     end
res_vddcore1_20 = vdropmax / imax20;
res_vddcore2_25 = vdropmax / imax25;
res_vddcore3_25 = vdropmax/ imax25;
res_vdda_5 = vdropmax/ imax5;

I(vddcore1_20) <+ deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore1_20) - vint ) * transition( (1 /res_vddcore1_20), td, tr) ;
I(vddcore2_25) <+ deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore2_25) - vint ) * transition( (1 / res_vddcore2_25), td, tr);
I(vddcore3_25) <+ deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore3_25) - vint ) * transition( (1 / res_vddcore3_25) td, tr);

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2008, 4:30pm

deep_pd_off ?? What is that? How is it declared? Is it piecewise constant? If so, it should be inside the transition function.
You probably also need a cross function to resolve the time of the threshold crossings on V(vddd). Do you really want hysteresis?

Your attempts to simplify this problem are making it much harder for us to help you. It would be best if you came up with a simple complete model that exhibited the problem, and they gave that. If you had done that from the first, you would have had your answer days ago, and I would not have to repeatedly ask you for more information.

-Ken

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2008, 8:10am

veriloganewbie wrote on Jun 19th, 2008, 4:04pm:
I(vddcore1_20) <+ deep_pd_off * ( V(vddcore1_20) - vint ) * transition( (1 /res_vddcore1_20), td, tr) ;

As Ken noted, deep_pd_off should probably be inside the transition -- right now, the argument to the transition filter:
 1/res_vddcore1_20
is constant, so transition() does nothing!

I think you want
I(vddcore1_20) <+  ( V(vddcore1_20) - vint )/res_vddcore1_20 * transition( deep_pd_off, td, tr) ;

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.