The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 12:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter and load capacitance (Read 3705 times)
Visjnoe

Jitter and load capacitance
Jul 10th, 2008, 2:42am

Dear all,

I noticed a strange phenomenon during jitter simulation of driven circuits (in casu: logic gates). The simulator used was HSPICE RF.
The logic gates were driven by a 50% duty cycle square wave. The number of sidebands was set to 250 and the jitter integration bandwidth  to 5GHz.

During a first set of simulations, I used a load capacitance of 0.1pF. I thought this was a conservative setting which would result in worst-case jitter results.

However, now I noticed that when I decrease the load capacitance to e.g. 0.01pF the reported jitter increases.

To me this is counterintuitive, since from handcalculations I would expect the jitter to decrease with decreasing load capacitance for synchronous (added) jitter by logic gates (e.g. INV, AND...).

Has anyone observed this too? Any (possible) physical explanation?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Re: Jitter and load capacitance
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2008, 7:49pm

Hi,
I have found the same problem in eldoRF, but in spectreRF everthing seems reasonable. You could try the simulation in spectreRF.

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:07am

Visjnoe wrote on Jul 10th, 2008, 2:42am:
To me this is counterintuitive, since from handcalculations I would expect the jitter to decrease with decreasing load capacitance for synchronous (added) jitter by logic gates (e.g. INV, AND...).

Could you please point out a reference or link where I might be able to gain more mathematical insight into the jitter-load capacitance relationship.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2008, 10:53am

Dear Trond,

please have a look at the paper by Abidi on jitter in ring oscillators. It contains several insightful derivations, including the jitter-load capacitance relationship. You can also derive the relationship yourself by reading the papers on jitter from this website.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.