The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 8:49pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The phase error of Integrator in Gm-c filter (Read 6757 times)
yixiusky
Community Member

The phase error of Integrator in Gm-c filter
Jul 17th, 2008, 6:37am

Hello, I would like to ask one question ^^

in Gm-c filter design, we must make sure the phase margin of intergrator is equal 90 degree. if phase is lower than 90, the Q factor will reduce. If phase is larger than 90. the Q will increase.

I wonder the phase error only can change Q factor? Is there any other disadvantage of phase error ?

thank you very much ^^

View Profile yixiusky   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: The phase error of Integrator in Gm-c filter
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2008, 7:43am

As far as I understand your question you speak about the Q factor of a filter stage containing among other circuitry an integrator, correct ?
(it would be helpful to see the whole filter circuit).
It is very important that each stage - and of course also the integrator - exhibits the specified phase characteristic as the whole circuit always is more sensitive to phase errors than to gain errors.
But, of course, phase errors influence not only the Q factor which is responsible for the shape of the transfer curve, but also the pole resp. corner frequencies. Does this answer satisfy you ?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
yixiusky
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2008, 7:46pm

thank you very much !  I would like to discuss more ^^

I attach the filter and formular ^^

I am designing 2nd-order gm-c bandpass filter now. I want to design the center frequency of bandpass filter is 860MHz, and the bandwidth is 20MHz. According to the transfer function, center frequency, Q factor value, I have some questions:

(1) after calculation, i set the gm3,gm4,c1,c2 to get the center frequency 860MHz, but it is different from the theroy.  Also. if we want to change the center frequency, which value should we change? Gm3,Gm4 or C1, C2.  and when I change anyone, the phase of integrator will be change, not 90 degree anymore Sad

(2) use B=Gm2/C1, i set the bandwidth of the filter. But it is also not exactly same. I guess because of parasitic capacitance, is that true?

(3) From the formular, after we choose the very high value Gm3. Gm4, and very small value Gm2, we can get very high frequency and very narrow bandwidth. But in practical, when I desing, it is not ture Cry

Sorry to ask so many questions

I am designing a RF tracking filter now. So i need to tune the center frequency from 50MHz to 860MHz, and keep narrow bandwidth about 20MHz.  when i tune the circuit, i can not make sure the specification.

Thank you very much ^^

have a nice day ^^

gm-c.JPG
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008, 3:57am

yixiusky wrote on Jul 17th, 2008, 7:46pm:
(1) after calculation, i set the gm3,gm4,c1,c2 to get the center frequency 860MHz, but it is different from the theroy.  Also. if we want to change the center frequency, which value should we change? Gm3,Gm4 or C1, C2.  and when I change anyone, the phase of integrator will be change, not 90 degree anymore Sad

(2) use B=Gm2/C1, i set the bandwidth of the filter. But it is also not exactly same. I guess because of parasitic capacitance, is that true?

(3) From the formular, after we choose the very high value Gm3. Gm4, and very small value Gm2, we can get very high frequency and very narrow bandwidth. But in practical, when I desing, it is not true.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I am designing a RF tracking filter now. So i need to tune the center frequency from 50MHz to 860MHz, and keep narrow bandwidth about 20MHz.  when i tune the circuit, i can not make sure the specification.

Well, a lot of questions - not easy to answer. Letīs try it:
1.) That there is a difference between calculated and measured/simulated values is quite normal. It is important how big the difference is. Do you know the frequency limits of the OTA ?
And its output impedance ? No OTA behaves like an ideal current source. For w tuning you should NOT use Gm2 or C1 as the BW is required to be constant. More than that, a good integrator does NOT change its phase by tuning the frequency.
2.) Of course, a lot of parasitics are always present. Not only capacitances; again check the OTA output impedance.
3.) What means "in practical" ? Simulation or measurement ? Of course, the calculated frequency goes high when Gm2 becomes small, but only under the assumption that the OTA behaves ideal.

Summary: At first, verify the OTA parameters (bandwidth, output charateristics). And when you communicate results: Be more exact; just to say "there is a difference" or "specification not met" is not enough.
Good luck and regards
Buddypoor

View Profile   IP Logged
yixiusky
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2008, 8:46pm

Buddypoor, thank you very much for your valuable advice, I am really appreciate it ^^

I follow ur advice and check my OTA

1) the OTA parameters (bandwidth=2GHz, output charateristics=2K)

2)about the bandwidth:
When I tuning the center frequency, I tune Gm3, Gm4.  I didn't use Gm2 and C1 as the BW is required to be constant. But the bandwidth still change Sad  I guess because of the paracitic capacitance, they are difficult to control, isn't it?  So it is very difficult to me to keep the constant 15MHz bandwidth.

3)about the central frequency
From the formula we can see that, if we make the Gm3 and Gm4 very large, we can get high frequency. But when I simulate, I make very large Gm3, Gm4 (about 15mS), but the frequency still not as high as I expect Sad  I guess because of phase error or paracitic capacitance Sad

4) about phase error:
since i should tune my tracking filter from 50MHz to 860MHz,  I use parallel Gm3 and Gm4 (2Gm,4Gm,8Gm.. as shown in attachment) to tune the center frequency. Sure thing the phase can not be 90 degree for every case. Should I compensate the phase every time? If that, the tuning will become very complex:(

I am so sorry to ask u so many questions again Sad thank you very much ^^

have a nice day ^^

gm-c_001.JPG
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2008, 11:58pm

yixiusky wrote on Jul 20th, 2008, 8:46pm:
1) the OTA parameters (bandwidth=2GHz, output charateristics=2K)
2)about the bandwidth:
When I tuning the center frequency, I tune Gm3, Gm4.  I didn't use Gm2 and C1 as the BW is required to be constant. But the bandwidth still change ..................
3)about the central frequency
From the formula we can see that, if we make the Gm3 and Gm4 very large, we can get high frequency. But when I simulate, I make very large Gm3, Gm4 (about 15mS), but the frequency still not as high as I expect Sad  I guess because of phase error or paracitic capacitance Sad
4) about phase error:
since i should tune my tracking filter from 50MHz to 860MHz,  I use parallel Gm3 and Gm4 (2Gm,4Gm,8Gm.. as shown in attachment) to tune the center frequency.

At first, you shouldnīt forget that all design formulas you are using apply only for idealized conditions (OTA input/output impedance as well as transit frequency infinite, no parasitics in hardware realization).
Therefore, assuming all given formulas are correct (I didnīt recalculate yet) all the deviations from design values must be attributet to these non-ideal influences.
As the OTA bandwidth is 2 GHZ it is really no surprise that you cannot tune the filter up to 860 MHz (corresponding to a ratio of only 2,3).
Normally, at least a factor of 20 is required between opamp transit frequency and filter pole frequency.
Another problem - especially for OTA bandpass filters - can be the dynamic range, which is rather limited for OTAs.
Do you have access to a program for symbolic circuit analysis ? In this case you could try to derive formulas for non-ideal conditions in order to see the influence of some unwanted parameters.    

View Profile   IP Logged
yixiusky
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2008, 8:04pm

thank u very much ^^  sorry to ask u so many questions ^^  i think u have many experiences to design filter, am I right ? ^^

Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2008, 1:56pm

One other fundamental thing that influences phase error is the finite gain of the amp.  This can have a significant affect on the phase error, especially as the DC gain varies a function of pvt.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2008, 11:45am

A good guideline - the parasitic poles of any of the system parts and pieces need to be at least a decade away from the controlled filter poles that you are trying to create.

So - If you want a gmC filter with 100MHz rolloff, your OTA (or gm stages) need to nave negligible phase response up to 1GHz over all process corners. That 20X figure mentioned above is probably pretty close.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.