The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 8:02am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter In CTDSM (Read 6024 times)
Asmodeus

Jitter In CTDSM
Aug 13th, 2008, 10:33pm

Hello friends, Its realy great to find a good site for analog designers !!  :)

Well, i am working on CTDSM, and was trying to make sure that my CTDSM will nt be degraded enough by jitter.

For that right now, i am using SIMULINK. The problem is that to model the jittery clock, i need to generate pink noise (1/f) noise. and i am unable to generate it in MATLAB or SIMULINK. If anybody has already worked on it. Please help me out !! Smiley

Thanks !!

~VJ~
View Profile Asmodeus   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Jitter In CTDSM
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008, 6:40pm

Hi,

Have you tried integrating white noise? That should be simple to do.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008, 10:59pm

HdrChopper wrote on Aug 14th, 2008, 6:40pm:
Hi,

Have you tried integrating white noise? That should be simple to do.

Regards
Tosei

Hi Tosei,

Be careful !!! Integrating white noise does not give 1/f noise. It gives 1/f^2 noise. However, I think this post is in the wrong forum. It ought to be in the behavioral modelling forum. I remember having seen some discussion long ago on generating pink noise there, but can't find the thread.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008, 11:40pm

You can use a fracpole to generate flicker noise. Just drive a fracpole with white noise and it will color it pink. Spectre has a fracpole built in. Or you can use the FracPole suite on http://www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2008, 7:53pm

vivkr wrote on Aug 14th, 2008, 10:59pm:
Be careful !!! Integrating white noise does not give 1/f noise. It gives 1/f^2 noise.

Hi Vivek,

I think you are right. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2008, 6:36am

Hi viks_iisc,

If you use simulink, there is a toolbox named SDtoolbox. SDtoolbox is developed by A. Fornasari, P. Malcovati and available at http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=7589&ob....

It has simulink model for jittered sinewave and colored noise. It is easy to use although I don't understand the algorithm. Smiley

Quote:
The problem is that to model the jittery clock, i need to generate pink noise (1/f) noise.

Furthermore, I don't think you need to generate pink noise (1/f) for modeling the jittered clock. Perhaps it is good enough to assume a gaussian distribution random jittered clock.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2008, 5:44pm

ywguo wrote on Sep 6th, 2008, 6:36am:
Furthermore, I don't think you need to generate pink noise (1/f) for modeling the jittered clock. Perhaps it is good enough to assume a gaussian distribution random jittered clock.

Hi Yawei,

Correct me if I´m wrong but I think that 1/f noise can also be gaussian distributed, so both features are not necessarily contradictory.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2008, 2:56am

Hi Tosei,

You put forward a good question. Intuitively, I thought 1/f noise is not Gaussian distributed. However, it has not solid base and proper reasoning. So I agree with you now. It is possible to generate a 1/f noise whose amplitude is Gaussian distributed.

Thank you.
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.