The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 14th, 2024, 6:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How close is kTB to actual received noise (Read 3867 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

How close is kTB to actual received noise
Jul 17th, 2008, 11:45pm

Hi all,

just wondering, a received signal is usually received with AWGN equal to kTB. What can cause it to increase or even decrease? I'm not really talking about interference, just noise (blackbody radiation).

thanks,
aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: How close is kTB to actual received noise
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008, 12:03pm

Hi,
If I remember correctly an antenna will only seen an equivalent to black body radiation if it's inside a perfect anechoic chamber since it will achive thermal equilibrium with the environment, in reality KTB it's KTaB (Ta it's the antenna equivalent noise temperature). T=290ēK it's obtained through statistical measurements in earth environment in the more general case(or for a more realistic estimation) it's necessary to know the noise sources that "see" the antenna and apply:
Ta=nradTb+(1-nrad)Tp
where :nrad is the antenna efficiency
Tb:equivalent brightness temperature seen by the main beam(secondary lobes pick up noise also but usually are neglected for this calculation)
Tp:it's the physical temperature of the antenna(it takes into account the ohmic component of the antenna).
So in reality if an antenna picks up through it's main lobe a noisy source you can see a higher level of thermal floor(or viceversa).
Hope it helps,
PD:in which band are you working?, maybe  it could be a problem of fast fading on the received signal so the SNR will degrade(or improve) but not caused by noise, i.e it's not a true AWGN channel, it's a frequency selective-time varying one and the attenuation it's not fixed.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2008, 12:41am

Hi didac,

i'm working in the 2.4 GHz ISM band. thanks for the info. Seems like i need to read up on antennas...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2008, 7:30am

Hi,
In classical antenna book you will find the definition of Ta and how to calculate Tb(it's a ratio of two 2-D integrals...) but the general concept it's more likely to be found in radiocommunications texts. In this band I think that it's more dangerous fading than variation of the noise(10-20 dB's of variation of the incoming signal it's not at all strange from frame to frame), of course it depends on system specific details.
Hope it helps,
PD:as a reference for antenna theory I think that Antenna Theory:Analysis and Design by Constantine A.Balanis it's a good book .
For general radiocommunications I think that Wireless Communications:Principles and Practice by Theodore S. Rappaport it's a good reference(although I think that it doesn't cover MIMO...) .

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.