The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pnoise issues with transient noise (Read 4293 times)
Rwalker

Pnoise issues with transient noise
Jul 18th, 2008, 7:23pm

Been working on a SC BPF for a while, simulating with spectreRF.  I use current mode integration sampling at the input to a SC biquad, and find that noise aliasing at the input is described by a transient noise derivation I came up with involving finite integration length.  When simulating with pnoise I see the expected noise in baseband (including the folding predicted by the transient derivation), but I also see up-conversion of strong low frequency noise to my clock freq and 10x clock freq.  I recognize that the spectrum of the noise currents should have up-conversion of the low-f noise (I essentially chop them with my sampling phase), yet I feel that the noise at the output of my filter due to these low-f components should all be at baseband, and I bang my head against the wall trying to find a physical explanation.

Could these be sim artifacts from trying to do a periodic noise simulation on a transient noise phenomenon?  Or maybe I should bang my head more?  Thanks!!

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Pnoise issues with transient noise
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2008, 8:12pm

Rwalker wrote on Jul 18th, 2008, 7:23pm:
and find that noise aliasing at the input is described by a transient noise derivation I came up with involving finite integration length.

What do you mean by "transient noise" also in "Pnoise issues with transient noise" ?

Could these be sim artifacts from trying to do a periodic noise simulation on a transient noise phenomenon?

I can't know your situation.
Show me more detail simulation setup and result's graph.

Or maybe I should bang my head more?

Maybe, yes.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Rwalker

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2008, 2:06pm

Thanks for the reply.

Found my issue, I had a poorly chosen Pnoise frequency sweep and had points right on fclk and 10*fclk.  I seem to have minor up-conversion of low-f noise that was being greatly exaggerated.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2008, 5:00pm

Rwalker wrote on Jul 21st, 2008, 2:06pm:
Found my issue, I had a poorly chosen Pnoise frequency sweep and had points right on fclk and 10*fclk.  I seem to have minor up-conversion of low-f noise that was being greatly exaggerated.

Maybe no one can understand your situation at all with your explanation.
What do you mean by "transient noise" in "a transient noise derivation" and "Pnoise issues with transient noise" ?
Do you mean "time domain noise" in Pnoise analysis or "monte calro type noise" in transient analysis ?

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Rwalker

Reply #4 - Jul 21st, 2008, 5:07pm

pancho_hideboo:  I'm not trying to explain my situation anymore because it is solved.  Please see my post above. Thank you.    

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.