The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 7:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The bjt and cmos process (Read 3481 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The bjt and cmos process
Jul 22nd, 2008, 7:00pm

Hi,
I am desiging an active filter. I have the cmos and bjt process availble and they all have enough Ft to meet the bandwicth requirements.

I wonder which process you advised me to use? E.g, from the point of lineraity characteristics, which one is better?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: The bjt and cmos process
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 4:51pm

Hi Dandelion,

The selection will depend on which parameters are most important to optimize in your design.
For example, if offset  and noise are important to be kept low, then bjt would be the choice since offset levels are much lower than their MOS counter part. At the same time 1/f is significantly lower for the BJT.

Another thing to consider is the available area. Depending on the passive components sizes and the relative weight of your amplifier on the total area the CMOS option might be the better one (I guess you could implement an smaller amplifier in CMOS than in a bjt process for similar specifications)

Hope this helps.
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:36pm

dandelion wrote on Jul 22nd, 2008, 7:00pm:
Hi,
I am desiging an active filter. I have the cmos and bjt process availble and they all have enough Ft to meet the bandwicth requirements.

I wonder which process you advised me to use? E.g, from the point of lineraity characteristics, which one is better?

Thanks

Linearity? Well, that would depend a lot on the design techniques you use, and the supply voltage you have available to you. I would say that it is possible to make highly linear filters using either MOS or BJT. The high input impedance of the MOS gate makes the design a lot easier though. Otherwise, there is not much to choose between the two if the 1/f noise and offset issues are not critical (you only mention linearity).

I would say the following: Go with the one you know much better. The chances are that you will make a better MOS design than a BJT one if you are used to MOS.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2008, 1:38am

In addition to the comments/recommendations made by tosei and vivek I think the choice also should be based on the filter topology chosen (filter order, cascade design, direct design, voltage or current mode, gm-C, MOSFET-C, ...) .
Most probably the technology determines filter topology and vice versa. Itīs really not easy to find the best combination for a certain application (which always will be a compromize between conflicting parameters).
Good luck and regards to you.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:03pm

Beyond technical aspects, the application/motivation for the design should be considered. If it were a commercial design, the system-level integration would determine the technology choice. Assuming this is a research project (MS/Ph.D.?), I would go for CMOS, because later on there will be far more companies interested in your job application if you have done CMOS design rather than BJT design.

My two cents
Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.