The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 24th, 2024, 3:15am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S/H switches for pipelined ADC (Read 625 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: S/H switches for pipelined ADC
Reply #15 - Aug 05th, 2008, 3:17am

Berti wrote on Aug 5th, 2008, 1:12am:
Hi all,

Sorry, but to me this discussion is confusing. I have never seen nor measured a sampling circuit that needs a switch resistance as low as 15Ohms for the relaxed requirements of 40Ms/s and 10bit!

I fully agree with Yawei that 7.6 times the time-constant will do the job, and I don't
see why the sampled signal shouldn't track the input signal (since the RC time constant
is larger than the input signal frequency!)

Thanks for explanations!

Regards

Hi Berti,

Yes! the discussion has got a bit confusing. Let me try to clarify:

1. The 7.6 timeconstants allowance for the sampling phase implicitly assumes that the input is fixed for a 66 dB settling accuracy. This would happen if the input were already sampled-and-held.

2. Although the input signal is well within the bandwidth of the switch, the finite Ron combined with the current i(t) = C*dVin/dt will cause a drop dV = i(t)*Ron. Thus, there is a difference to (1). In (1), there is almost no current flowing into the switch at the end of the phase. However, the same is not true when you are applying a continuously varying input to the switch-capacitor-switch arrangement in track mode. There is always current flowing as the signal keeps on changing.

3. By itself, this drop dV would be harmless. If Ron were constant across all inputs of interest, you would have a gain error only => no nonlinear distortion. However, the Ron of a common transmission gate is highly nonlinear. The Ron may easily vary by a factor of 5-10 over input range.
So, one can assume that all error dV caused in this case is distortion, and must size Ron small enough to guarantee that the largest Ron gives small enough dV. Thus, one is forced to make the absolute error dV caused by the switch to be smaller than required nonlinear distortion spec. Hence the fantastically low Ron requirement. You could probably simulate and get an Ron spec about 2x times less tight, depending on the exact amount of nonlinearity from your switch, but you would still need a very large switch.

4. Now, if you have a relatively linear switch such as a bootstrapped switch, then you can assume that dRon across the input range is very small (< 10% of Ron). So the net error introduced by the switch has components dV = dVgain + dVnonlin, where the latter is about 10% of the total error. So you can use an Ron about 10 times or more larger, depending on your bootstrapped switch design.

I hope this makes the point clear. I cannot explain better. The best would be if you were to try to make a simple tracking circuit. You don't even need to turn the switches ON and OFF, just leave the tracking switches permanently ON and look at the voltage across the sampling cap, and take an FFT of this one for a rapidly varying input. Do this for the case where you have a common transmission gate, and for a bootstrapped switch (can be approximated with an NMOS whose gate-source voltage is fixed with an ideal voltage source). This is a very simple comparison but quite revealing.

Otherwise, ask people who have made sample-and-holds. This problem pops up there all the time. I came across it that way myself. The basic point I will emphasize again is that there is always a current flowing through the switch in the track phase when the input is changing all the time, and this is the main culprit.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:11am

Hi Vivek,

thank you, I got the point and understand you calculations now.
However, I think that the calculation doesn't make sense. One should do
a distortion analysis assuming that the switch is weakly nonlinear.
But Hugo never provided any information about the linearity of the switch (which of course will depend on the structure ... transmission gate, bootstraped etc).

I have already made sample-and-holds. That's why 15Ohm for 10bit@40MHz doesn't
sound reasonable to me (I more do 10bit@400MHz which would mean 1.5Ohm switch resistance Wink.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2008, 8:31am

It also seems too tight a spec to me.
The non-linear error is taken care of by bootstrapping the switch. There remains the non-linear capacitance, etc, so it's in your best interest to minimize the size of the switch to reduce that contribution w.r.t. the sampling capacitor (which should be *very* linear).

Now, this non-linearity consideration is already mixing some of the initial issues up.
Due to the RC constant of the switch there will always be a difference between the input signal and the voltage on the sampling capacitor.

Simple RC circuit behavior, phase error (so, time delay).

I don't see the point of trying to reduce that phase/delay error to less than one LSB, since the anti-aliasing filter at the input certainly contributes a lot more to this at the Nyquist frequency than what he seems to be designing for.

I usually get a spec for amplitude attenuation at nyquist, say -1dB, and implicitly I have there the phase error (or tracking error) that is acceptable.

View Profile   IP Logged
HugoFranca

Switzerland
Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2008, 9:08am

Vivek,
I agree with your calculation, Rtotal should be less that 7.8Ω for a absolute error below 1/4LSB.

We all agree that this is not a reasonable value and so the ADC will introduce some phase error.
Thank you Imd1 for mentioning the effect of the anti-aliasing filter that will be dominating over the RC of the S/H.

Concerning the linearity of the switch:

Berti, in a previous post I have provided the information about the linearity of the switch.
For the moment I'm using 1 transmission gate in series with 2 NMOS. Within the input range Ron varies between 108Ω and 122Ω.

I agree that I should do the fft to see the effect of this non-linearity in the sampled signal, however I do not have time at the moment. (I have tried a few days ago but the result wasn't correct for some reason, and I couldn't conclude anything).
I will do the fft within a few months and I will post the results here, including the corners.

For now I just need to be sure that I'm not doing a big mistake in my circuit!

I have done a simple calculation to see the effect of the non-linearity of the switch using the expression provided by Vivek.
This is not a valid calculation because Ron=108Ω and Ron=122Ω do not occur at the same DC level and not even at the maximum dV/dt; however it gives an idea of the error.

Error @ 108Ω = 3.39 mV,
Error @ 122Ω = 3.83 mV

the difference is about 0.44mV which is relatively big when compared with 1 LSB that is about 1mV.

So if don't have time to do the boostrapped (I have done it but I need to update the clocking circuit and it takes time), I will at least try to reduce this non-linearity by decreasing Ron of the transmission gate switch (which will also improve the linearity).

Hugo

View Profile   IP Logged
HugoFranca

Switzerland
Reply #19 - Aug 5th, 2008, 10:38am

I have been playing with the L and W of the transistors of the transmission gate and I got to a point where the difference between Ron max and Ron min is around 3Ω.

Check the figure.

If I add to this the resistences of the 2 NMOS that are in series I get a Ron that varies between 106Ω and 109Ω.

Of course that this range is for a typical process, so it will get worse for the corners SF and FS.

But I think that for now I will not use bootstrapped switches.

Cheers,
Hugo

TR_GATES.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #20 - Aug 5th, 2008, 11:55pm

Berti wrote on Aug 5th, 2008, 8:11am:
Hi Vivek,

thank you, I got the point and understand you calculations now.
However, I think that the calculation doesn't make sense. One should do
a distortion analysis assuming that the switch is weakly nonlinear.
But Hugo never provided any information about the linearity of the switch (which of course will depend on the structure ... transmission gate, bootstraped etc).

I have already made sample-and-holds. That's why 15Ohm for 10bit@40MHz doesn't
sound reasonable to me (I more do 10bit@400MHz which would mean 1.5Ohm switch resistance Wink.

Regards

Hi Berti,

Agree fully with you there. The structure of the transmission gate is crucial, and one ought to assume a weakly nonlinear switch, but if one is using a transmission gate, then this assumption is usually not valid. So, with a bootstrapped switch, it ought to be possible to get much more reasonable values for Ron (switch size), and good linearity.

As imd1 rightly points out, a larger switch will also introduce other nonlinear effects, and so it makes no sense to try and reduce Ron aggressively in an attempt to reduce absolute error, as this is neither useful from a system point of view, nor feasible or desirable.

Hugo:

I would still advise you to run atleast a simple transient simulation to see the distortion you are getting with your switch. From the Ron curves you posted, it would seem that you might be OK. However, there is no substitute for transient analysis. You mention that there was some problem with your transient analysis the last time you tried it.

Just try a simple simulation just of the sampling switches and the cap, with the clocking, and use coherent sampling and strobing for your simulation. Then, you can read out the data and do an FFT with sufficient clarity. In my experience, it takes < 10 minutes to set up everything and start a simulation, and the simulation itself should take 1 hour at the most. All in all, you can check everything in less than a morning's work.

On the other hand, if you find out that your circuit has too much distortion after the tapeout, then you can't do anything. Once the signal is ruined at the sample-and-hold, there is nothing to be done about it.

Think about it.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Monkeybad

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2008, 7:51pm

Hi! everyone!
I'm so glad that finally someone has discussed about the pipelined ADC.
I had designed a 30MHz pipelined ADC before. Some simulation experience may offer some help.
I agree with vivkr and Berti, in S&H simulation, the linearity simulation is needed. Calculation about the switch error just gives a roughly estimation about  the performance. Using FFT test can show the real linearity that you can gain in S&H circuit. In my simulation experience , the bootstraped switches will need to get enough linearity in the spec of 40MHz, 10bit ADC.
Hope this provide some help!      

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #22 - Aug 8th, 2008, 3:50am

Aha, good topic.
This may be wrong, but would be how I would approach it.

R = 1 / [2pi * 2f * C * 7.7]

Basically it has to settle within one clock pulse, not period, hence the 2f. 7.7 is because it will take 7.7 time constants to get to this value, so you have to divide by it. I believe C is the total capacitance, i.e. Cs + Cf, and R is the TOTAL resistance, so individual R's would have to be smaller.

But I believe the above is for a static input, from a S&H. I'm not following how you get Ron if no S&H is to be used....?

I have seen a few papers where either the S&H is not used, or it is left out completely and the time constants on both paths so that the MDAC and sub-ADC sample the same input rather than delayed versions. Personally, I am trying not to use a S&H and hope that the +-Vref/4 redundancy can compensate for any error. That, or use a very simple switch + cap, non-active S&H. I know a few folks have tried this, such as Ian Galton.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.