The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 4th, 2024, 9:54pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
On-Chip 2.4 GHz bandpass filter (Read 6015 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

On-Chip 2.4 GHz bandpass filter
Jul 30th, 2008, 7:06am

Hi all,

just wondering, what kind of issues would I have in designing a 2.4 GHz bandpass filter for ISM band apps. Assume I want to try and design an LC bandpass filter where Q is at most 10...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: On-Chip 2.4 GHz bandpass filter
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2008, 8:55am

Q of 10 means you'll probably need a decent RF geared CMOS technology with good BEOL stack... otherwise it'll be tough to get the performance

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008, 6:21pm

thanks,

but what is a BEOL stack and why do we need it?

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008, 9:57am

BEOL (back-end-of-line) is just metal stack

sorry for the jargon...

for good inductors you'll need low resistance metal (therefore thick) which is sufficiently elevated from substrate...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 3:15pm

Silly thought - The discussion seems to be on LC filters. Anyone taken a look at a gm-C filter for this? My last gm-C filter was at 500MHz on a 0.35um technology, so maybe with a faster technology you could make this bandwidth.

Hmmm.....

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008, 2:40am

Hi,
Just to continue the line of thought of loose-electron I've seen a type of filters called "Q-enhancement Bandpass Filters" that are proposed as integrated RF Bandpass filters, first time I've seen them was in a tutorial from ISCAS 2004:"Design of Continuous-Time Filters from 0.1Hz to 2.0GHz",Edgar Sanchez-Sinencio and Jose Silva-Martinez, surfing the web you could find some IEEE papers and I've found also a Thesis:"A Q-ENHANCED 3.6 GHZ TUNABLE CMOS BANDPASS FILTER FOR WIDEBAND WIRELESS APPLICATIONS",JIANDONG GE,University of Saskatchewan,Canada.
I suppose that they could be used if power consumption and/or the trade off between NF and linearity are too stringent.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2008, 5:17am by didac »  
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2008, 6:45am

For Gm-C and Q-enhancement type filters, I think the most difficult part is the control (apart from the noise). You would need a PLL to center the filter frequency, and even still you couldn't rely on a matched design since the matching between such designs probably wouldn't be good...

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2008, 7:53pm

Instead of GmC you could think of using a LRC tank where the tank is somehow related to the VCO tank, then you don't need an extra PLL.

Or you could come up with a smart way to use the RF PLL to tune the tank.

The real problem with both GmC or LRC with Q-enhancement is the inevitable degradation in dynamic range due to using active components in the filter structure (added noise and nonlinear distortion).

There are numerous papers on LRC Q-enhancement, and a few of them deal with analyzing the dynamic range issues. Usually the IMD and noise performance is pretty bad.

But it is cool to play around with for sure.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.