The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 9:03pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation set-up for amplifier noise...? (Read 2251 times)
thomasross20

Simulation set-up for amplifier noise...?
Aug 19th, 2008, 7:02am

Hi there,

Just a quick question... I have a fully-diff telescopic amp for use in a pipeline ADC. My question is, how do you find the noise of this through simulation? Is it a transient sim (I'm guessing so!), how should it be set up? And do you integrate up to infinity?

EDIT - keep in mind that the tel amp output common mode differs from the input common mode and so can't be put into unity gain.

Thanks very much!

TR

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Simulation set-up for amplifier noise...?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2008, 7:48am

If you want to simulate a fully-differential amplifier with different input and output common modes in a feedback configuration, simply use a voltage-controlled voltage source (ideal buffer) to connect the output back to the input. You can also use this source to adjust the loop gain in your simulation setup.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2008, 8:22am

Currently what I do is have a large resistor in each feedback loop as well as the large cap so that the amp loops are d.c. biased but open loop for a.c. But I get phenomenally high noise levels; I don't understand if this is because the amp has a large GBW (GHz range), I'm doing it wrong, or if those resistors are contributing to noise somehow.

Ideal buffer to separate the common-mode levels; and this is open-loop for a.c.? I don't understand how it changes loop gain..?

I forgot to say, I run a.c. and noise analyses from 1 to 10THz, then integrate over that range (integ(range) in calculator) and take the square root. I choose no input (as mine is fully-diff input, not single-ended) and the output nodes are the positive and negative outputs from the amp.

I also notice that the y-axis is Y0 rather than volts...?

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2008, 6:51pm

Hi there,

Using large resistors in the feedback to close the loop is not a good since they will generate a lot of noise.

What Frank suggested is the right way to do it. Ideal buffers do not add extra noise and allow you to close the loop for different input and output common levels.

Using ac noise analysis will give you a direct noise performance of the amplifier. For such purpose just short the inputs (do not forget to place the input probe in before shorting them) and generate the appropriate common mode level.

The ideal buffer will change the loop gain if its corresponding ac  gain is different from 1. Otherwise the loop gain will be the amplifierīs one.
At the same time, from the DC or bias perspective, the buffer will help you adapt the input and output common mode levels. Again, this will not affect the ac loop gain unless the ac gain for such buffer is different from 1.

Finally, the noise can be integrated to have the overall noise performance for your amplifier. Assuming a one-pole system (or at least having your second pole far away from the dominant one) the noise equivalent bandwidth can be assumed to be ~ 1.57 x the -3dB frequency of your amplifier. So if you integrate such noise up to a very high frequency you should approximate to that number if you meet such conditions.

Hope this helps
Regards

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2008, 11:34pm

thomasross20 wrote on Aug 19th, 2008, 8:22am:
I forgot to say, I run a.c. and noise analyses from 1 to 10THz, then integrate over that range (integ(range) in calculator) and take the square root. I choose no input (as mine is fully-diff input, not single-ended) and the output nodes are the positive and negative outputs from the amp.

I don't understand your approach.

1. Why do you want to integrate upto 10 THz. The thermal noise models you use are not even valid there, and surely, the relevant band of interest is much lower, probably < 1 GHz.

2. You can use baluns, atleast at the input and refer back to a single voltage source for noise analysis. Usually, output can be specified differentially, or you can use another balun or vcvs there. So, there is no issue with differential circuits. If you want more info, look at the following link:

http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/diff.pdf

3. Most importantly, you want to simulate the noise resulting from the use of this amp in a pipelined ADC, i.e. a switched-capacitor ADC. Why don't you simply run a Pnoise analysis on the circuit, operating in its normal configuration without any funny additional elements, and with the correct loading, and simply look at the net noise. You can also see the relative contributions of each component to the overall noise. If you are only trying to see amp noise, you can use ideal switches with finite Ron/Roff but no noise.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2008, 11:53pm

Just an other comment:
When you simulate from 1Hz you will also add a lot of flicker noise.
Depending on the application, I think that this very low-frequency
noise is not important.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2008, 3:18am

Wow, some great comments, you guys are very knowledgable!

Thanks to the link abuot simulating fully-diff amps; it was great and I never knew these baluns existed in cadence!

OK, I agree that the resistors in the feedback are not the way to go; I don't know WHAT I was thinking there! So the buffer will allow the d.c. level separation and can allow for loop gain change if the a.c. gain factor is changed from 1. My set-up for noise sims is now as follows:

Use baluns at inputs and outputs and use vcvs in the feedback loop to separate common-mode levels. Straight away the noise is reduced since those feedback resistors are gone.

Do I need to specify an input voltage source? I believe there is an option for selecting no input; wont this equally calculate the noise of the amp? Since I select the differential outputs, the graph will plot the output noise. If I select an input, will the output be the input referred noise?

Regarding the frequency range to integrate over. It is suggested that I integrate up to the noise equivalent bandwidth? I spoke to some guys at EPFL a few months ago who said I should integrate up to infinity, as who knows what noise could be present.....? But you say up to the NEB?
Also, does it matter where I start integrating from? If the signal is from 2 to 30M and I sample at 300M, say, should I even care about frequencies lower then 2M?

vivkr, how do you know what frequency the thermal noise models go to?
You are correct, I will have to run the sim in actual MDAC configuration at some point. I've never used this pnoise before but will look into it.

The only other thing now is that the vcvs in the loop results in an inability to compute the d.c. operating point. Putting in 1u resistors in the loop seems to get over this problem.

A big thankyou to all of you; you've helped a lot and I really appreciate it. I've learnt quite a lot as I've never really tried this before!

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2008, 5:42am

Hi Thomas,

1. I still don't understand why you want to use resistors, vcvs etc. And I don't like to use 1u resistors personally. You can only expect convergence issues with your simulator. Why don't you try simulating the switched-capacitor MDAC stage which is the heart of your pipelined ADC, as it is, i.e. without disturbing its intrinsic configuration. PSS + Pnoise analysis from Spectre (Use timedomain option for sampled systems) would be ideal for this stuff. Anything else you do is simply analyzing another system than what you will have on silicon !!!

Please also read up on using this analysis before you mess with it.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf

2. You do not need to specify an input voltage source, but since most people calculate input-referred noise, it is helpful to specify it. I got the impression that you were avoiding specifying the input voltage source for noise analysis merely because you did not see how to do it for a differential circuit. Now that you have baluns, that is solved, and you have complete information (input and output noise).

3. You always have to remember that neither your opamps, nor your switches+capacitors have infinite bandwidth. The bandwidth of your opamp probably runs to 10s or 100s of MHz, that of switches+caps to around 100s of MHz. Once you have read up on PSS + Pnoise analysis, and done it a few times, you will realize why you should choose the upper frequency limit for noise wisely.

4. Next time, someone tells you to integrate upto infinity, ask him what his definition of infinity is. As for the upper limit of thermal noise processes, that is given by f0 = (kT/h), where T is temperature, and you can guess the other 2 constants. However, that is only an academic issue. Your real bandwidth is going to be orders of magnitude smaller. Why bother?

5. Flicker noise is an issue as Berti pointed out. You need to choose the lower limit wisely. Usually, for a wideband ADC, it does not matter. The flicker noise at low frequencies may be very high, but the integrated noise power there is usually small (in most cases) compared to the thermal noise in your 10s of MHz bandwidth. Just because your signal is from 2 to 30 MHz does not mean that you can ignore noise at lower bandwidths, unless your final system includes a filter to remove this noise. You may be interested in the band from 2 to 30 MHz, but your circuit does not know that. It will democratically amplify everything it sees in its passband, unless you tell it to pick and choose (place a filter of some kind). I would choose the lower frequency limit based on the longest observation period of interest. That is not a universal choice. Some people will tell you that you need to choose the lower limit based on the longest timeconstant in your circuit, which will usually be limited by leakage. Others will say that you need to choose it depending on the lifetime of the circuit. I don't know the best answer.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2008, 3:30am

My approach is often to simulate the amps (main amp plus gain-boosting) on their own, then all together in the desired configuration. For example, if you wanted to get the a.c. response of the amp, could you do this in MDAC configuration?

Thanks for the link, I'll get reading that soon Smiley

3. I'll have to read the document but yes, I see now why integrating up to infinity could be a bit silly; I just assumed that the amp would not know one frequency from another, but of course the circuit components will limit the high-end.

4. Temperature and planck's constant? OK Smiley

I'm now getting, as you guessed rightly, major convergence issues; I think it's because of the vcvs' in the feedback... What I'm trying now is a sim to check the settling of one of the amplifiers (the main amp with no gain-boosting), again with different common-mode levels.. but the sim cannot find a d.c. solution. What a pain!

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2008, 4:08am

OK so I've been sidetracked of late and am now back to looking at the noise of this MDAC stage/amplifier. I agree, I should look at the noise of the entire MDAC stage, including switches and capacitors. I am not so keen, however, on using this pnoise; I read the document and found it a difficult read.
What is the standard way of getting the noise at the output of this MDAC circuit using ac noise analysis?

Is it doing the analysis during both clock phases, then adding the results? I tried this for one phase and the noise was ridiculous; something like 2V.... obviously incorrect.

May I also ask about the transient noise analysis. I take it this would not be suitable; how is this typically used etc?

Thanks for your help on this topic; it's something I can't quite seem to grasp!

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2008, 1:15am

thomasross20 wrote on Aug 29th, 2008, 4:08am:
May I also ask about the transient noise analysis. I take it this would not be suitable; how is this typically used etc?

I am also curious about comments/experiences on this new feature, transient noise analysis.

Can anyone provide the mathematical justification on what it does, and why it should work better than the other (pnoise) approach ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2008, 1:31am

I think that transient noise analysis allows large-signal noise simulations.
For a SC circuit such as a MDAC, large-signal noise analysis is probably
not required and  pnoise is faster (more accurate).

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
thomasross20

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 2:41am

If spectre does not calculate kT/C noise, is there any point in doing this in MDAC configuration? My supervisor has said I may be better off doing the kT/C noise using mathematics and simulating the amplifier on its own for the thermal noise from the amp.

In one phase, the inputs are sampled onto caps while the amp is open loop and the input & output CM voltages are applied.
In the second phase, the standard x2 configuration is used.

So I assume in phase 1, the noise from the amp doesn't contribute at all. The kT/C noise will be sampled, though.

In phase 2, the amp noise will appear at the output. The noise gain from the input to the output will be 1 (Cf = Cs) but since there is more switching, does this mean there will be further kT/C noise added?

A final question regarding switch sizing. In phase 1 there is a switch in series with the sampling cap. In phase 2, there are two switches to the left of Cs (the right hand side is connected to virtual ground) and one switch to the right of Cf in feedback.
I'm saying that the required switch resistance is 1/(2*pi*2f*C*7.7)

2f is because it has to settle in one clock pulse, not period. 7.7 for 11-b settling. This gives me a switch resistance of 64 ohms (f is high). I am not sure if I should make the two switches in series half of this value?
Things seem to be ok if R~125 ohms or so, thought I don't see why. If I make the switches bigger for a smaller R, the output settles to above what it should be (probably charge injection/capacitive coupling coming into play?)

Thanks Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.