The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 12:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WiMax DC offset problem (Read 2531 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

WiMax DC offset problem
Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:22am

Hi all,

I read that WiMax has a DC offset issue since the time given to switch from TX mode to RX mode is relatively short. This makes it difficult for the DC offset correction loop to settle in time. However, i noticed at least two vendors are using zero-IF RX for WiMax. Just wondering how they got around the problem. I suppose it is possible to simply turn on the RX in advance to allow the DC offset correction loop to at least partially settle...

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: WiMax DC offset problem
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008, 8:32am

Aaron:

I haven't done an 802.16 system, but there are lots of way of dealing with this - including:

Keeping the RX path up and running all the time, but squelch the input to it in TX mode

Fast attack control of offset - you change the loop BW from high (aquire offset) to low (maintain offset)

Control memory - the offset loop maintains its prior value (DAC setting) when restarting in order to have shorter acquisition times.

those are the ones that come quickly to mind.
Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: WiMax DC offset problem
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008, 2:11pm

As similar to 802.11ag all DC-receivers use a coordinated offset rejection in the radio and the BB.

The question is what to reject. If the RX path from the switch is still disconnected it could be a different offset than if the switch is on the air. If the rejection operate on noise it could sample the noise instance.

BB have further rejection build in. The cleverness is that the BB offset rejection operate in the presence of frequiency shifts.

That is where the companies differentiate.

The technical best system is a LowIF-RX and ZeroIF-TX. But in development there are other flavors making this decision.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.