The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 1:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Randomization for PWM DcDc-Converter (Read 5539 times)
Berti
Community Fellow

Randomization for PWM DcDc-Converter
Aug 25th, 2008, 5:06am

Hi all,

I would like to reduce EMI of an existing PWM DcDc-Converter.
Therefore I added randomization, which improved EMI. However, the randomization
signal appears at the converter output (see figure).

Does anybody has suggestions how to improve that?

Thank & Regards

vext.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
NiceFeng

Re: Randomization for PWM DcDc-Converter
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009, 5:16am

Hi, Berti,

How did you modulate the duty cycle?

I think your output waveform is related to the period of your modulation signal. It seems it is too fast.

Regards,
Feng

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2009, 11:27pm

Hi Feng,

The period of the modulation signal is given by the length of the LFSR which is 8bit in my case.
However, in the meantime I found several publications which confirm the presence of low frequency noise if randomization is applied. And since the DcDc-Converter output is finally regulated by an additional LDO this is not really a problem. Especially since the PSRR of the LDO is very good at low frequencies.

Thank you. Cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
krab

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2009, 1:30am

Hi Berti,

I have just started a DC-DC IC design where +-3% variation in the switching frequency is needed for spread spectrum control.

I considered using a 8 bit LFSR just like you but I am wondering if the period of the register (8 cycles) is too short. I plan to use the current clock edge to drive the LFSR and the new state of the LFSR will determine the next cycle frequency.

I am curious, after your research what is the reason why you have low frequency noise on the output?

I am also considering maybe using a low frequency sawtooth to modulate the duty cycle, but I am not sure how I should choose the freq of my sawtooth. Any suggestions?

Also any references on how one might implement this sawtooth modulation on chip will be much appreciated.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2009, 12:14am

Hi,

Quote:
I am curious, after your research what is the reason why you have low frequency noise on the output?

I came to the conclusion that the low frequency noise is inherent to randomization. I found several publications which report on that. Basically it makes sense: If you add dither to a system, the dither will typically also appear at the output.
However, since the DcDc-Output is further regulated by an additional LDO in my case, low frequency noise will be suppressed by the LDO.

Quote:
I am also considering maybe using a low frequency sawtooth to modulate the duty cycle, but I am not sure how I should choose the freq of my sawtooth.

The choice of the switching frequency is related to your system (spectral interference planing). Often a low frequency is preferred, which however translated into a large inductor.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.