The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IM3 problem in the active low pass filter (Read 4638 times)
James Bond
Community Member

IM3 problem in the active low pass filter
Sep 02nd, 2008, 12:24pm

Hi, guys

Does anybody know how to reduce IM3 in a nth order active low pass filter? I guess one has to start from the designing a low IM3 opamp, right ? The only way I am realizing is to increase the signal swing, can you suggest any tips ?

BR
James

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: IM3 problem in the active low pass filter
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:24am

James Bond wrote on Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:24pm:
The only way I am realizing is to increase the signal swing

Increase ???

For my opinion, the linearity of a filter circuit depends strongly on the chosen topology.
Therefore the question: What is the structure of your filter - cascade or compact/direct realization ? Which topology ? What kind of amplifier - opamp or OTA ?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:55am

Hi,

Forgive me I didn't explain my situation clearly. The situation is that the topology(leapfrog) is fixed , filter order is fixed, schematic is fixed. The only thing I can do is to optimize opamp I think . As I mentioned above, try to give more headroom so that it can handel larger input signal.  

BR
James

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:22am

Yes, if everything is fixed - except the opamp type - then, indeed, the opamp seems to be the only part to be "optimized" - whatever this means. May I remember you, that - in addition to more or less classical sources of non-linearity - sometimes slew induced distortions exist.
That means, you could try to use opamps with a higher slew rate.
I suppose, you have already checked the different signal levels the various opamps have to accept (saturation effects).
Thatīs all I can say at the moment.
Good luck.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
cgt

Stockholm
Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2009, 6:15am

Hi,
One common problem is that the OP amps output stages are running out of current. This will set the compression point and hence the linearity to some degree depending on loop gain.
In RFIC RX designs this normally happens for large interferers in the first stages of the filter. For the wanted channel this happens for the last stages. I assume that there is (distributed) gain in the filter.
Please remember that the out of channel interferers do "see" a quite low impedance wich requires higher current than the wanted channel (in the first stages).
/CG

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2009, 6:31pm

Hi,

I guess i must be missing something...can't you just increase the loop gain of the op-amps?

cheers,
Aaron

EDIT...just noticed how old the original post is...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2009, 4:56pm

Two things needed:

1. Examination of the worst case (largest) signal amplitudes at the outputs of all active amplifiers. Need to stay well within the limitations of the amplifier going into compression. FWIW an OTA will give wier amplitude swings (AB output type OTA)

2. Get the open loop gain of the amplifiers as high as possible and maintain the gain out to a BW that is a decade (or more) beyond you passband.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.