The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 7:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cdb2oa - CDB to Open Access (Read 18663 times)
rribeiro

Essex, UK
cdb2oa - CDB to Open Access
Oct 01st, 2008, 8:22am

Hello all,

recently installed the Cadence 6.xx and I have a BIG issue.  :-/

I'm trying to pass all the work that we have in Cadence5.xx to the 6.xx but it's not easy, reading the Cadence manual and trying it's not working.  :'(

Can anyone have a script or a step by step how to prepare a CDB database to be ready to pass to open access format?

Best Regards,
Ricardo

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Re: cdb2oa - CDB to Open Access
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 2:58am

You are not very detailed of what is not working.
You mentioned the 'cdb2oa' database library/translator in the subject of you post.
Have you used it and how?
What are the error messages, if there are some?
Have you read 'cdb2oa -help' for the usage?
* bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rribeiro

Essex, UK
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 3:32am

Now after some "debugging" and "google it" I finally can run the tool to the end and "transform" the CDB database in an Open Access one.
(for me the help doc it wasn't good enough, i.e. to be able to put the tool running you need to launch the cadence in other place and then "create" a cds.lib to each library that we need to translate, on the help doc we can not read this kind of information)
Now the problem is, after running the translator and when I open the layout everything is in "background" layer.
Yesterday I was thinking and I realised that probably the problem is that I need a strim map table.

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 6:20am

Quote:
Now the problem is, after running the translator and when I open the layout everything is in "background" layer.

You need to attach your technology library to your design library that should be all.
Command Interpreter Window (CIW) ->  Tools -> Technology File Manager ... ->Attach ...
In general you first translate your reference libraries (e.g. technology library)
and after them your design libraries.

May I ask if there is any essential reason why you have to tranlate you database?
Quote:
Yesterday I was thinking and I realised that probably the problem is that I need a strim map table.

By the way a stream in mapping table is used for reading in GDSII databases and has nothing to do with tranlating database form CDBA to OA
* bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rribeiro

Essex, UK
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2008, 6:48am

Quote:
In general you first translate your reference libraries (e.g. technology library)

Well I downloaded the technology library, in this case TOWER, and "reference" this "new library" on my cds.lib, until here everything is ok.

Quote:
May I ask if there is any essential reason why you have to translate you database?

The essential reason is, now I'm starting one brand new project and for this one it's not the main issue but the previous one is.
I want to be able to understand this "translator" to be able to "move" the previous CDB project to this Open Access, why?!? I don't know if the designers will want to re-use some of the block's in this new one, and instead of spending time re-doing everything again I will spend some time now understanding and be able to do this translation.

Quote:
By the way a stream in mapping table is used for reading in GDSII databases and has nothing to do with translating database form CDBA to OA

Probably you are right, the thing is like I said to you I made some "google" regarding this issue and one of the bit's was related to a Strm table and I tried to use it, but like I said it's the same.

Thanks for your time trying to help me "debugging" this issue.

Best Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
rribeiro

Essex, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2008, 4:30am

Just to give the feedback about this issue/problem.

Last week I had a person from Cadence to see the problem and to help me surround it.

By steps and forgetting the "Conversion Tool Box User Guide" from Cadence help we have:

1- create a new directory
2- create a cds.lib file and DEFINE the new "pdk" (open access one)
3- run cdb2oa.csh

And voila ..... you succefuly translate from cdb to oa format.

Now the main problem is if the new pdk have some changes on the purpose from some layers .... in my case the technology chance from lc purpose to dg in some layers and with this the translator can not make the reference from the previous pdk (cdb pdk) to the new pdk (oa pdk)

Hope this help and if you have more problem I suggest to make a request to Cadence Source link, they will be helpful.

Best Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
lord_estacado

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2009, 3:57am

Hi, I'm trying to translate the cdb libraries to oa. I've followed this instructions (http://www.ece.utexas.edu/it/setting-up-the-cadence-environment/#cdb-oa-database...) but I get a lot of warnings and errors:

WARNING (CDBOA-406): Directory <path>/<name> is in a cellview. The directory
and its contents will be copied to the destination database
but will not be translated.

WARNING (CDBOA-413): The OpenAccess cds.lib definition for library "name"
points to CDBA data. The translator will fail if the
library you are translating attempts to reference CDBA data
from OpenAccess. Remove the definition from the OpenAccess
cds.lib file or redefine it so that it points to OpenAccess
data.

WARNING (CDBOA-502): Cannot find technology information for library
<path>/<name>. Translating the library without technology
information.

Generated once. The translator is unable to find any
technology information for the library. There is no
technology library attached and no valid technology file
(tech.db) in the OpenAccess library directory.
Fix the technology references in the CDBA version and run
the translator again or attach appropriate technology
information in the OpenAccess version of the library.

ERROR (CDBOA-612): {Cell | View} <path>/<name> has an illegal CDBA name. Its
contents will be copied to the OpenAccess version of the
library but will not be translated.

Generated 2 times. The translator does not convert cells
or cellviews that have illegal CDBA names. The contents are
copied to the OpenAccess version of the library but are not
translated. This could mean that you end up with CDBA data
in the OpenAccess version of your library. Check the cell
or cellview in question and, if it is required, ensure that
it has a legal CDBA name and then run the translator again.

Can anyone help me, please? Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.