The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 28th, 2024, 3:55pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
vdsat (Read 5803 times)
rajdeep

UK
vdsat
Oct 14th, 2008, 8:29am

Hi  all,

Can anyone please explain to me why large values of vdsat is required for the MOS transistors used
in a current mirror circuit? I heard it ensures strong inversion for the MOS transistors.
But then why strong inversion and is it the only reason?

Any good  link or book's name will also be helpful. Please don't give me any link to a discussion thread.
That confused me more  :-[

Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
PalmRunner

Re: vdsat
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2008, 9:12am

For me Vdsat is the required drain-source voltage at which Id enters the saturation region and the transistor starts to operate in strong inversion. When Id is saturated it depends only from Vgs and not from Vds, just like an ideal current source. Basically strong inversion is achieved by increasing the overdrive voltage (Vgs - Vt), which also ensures that random Vt variations would have less impact on Id. Therefore, better matching is achieved as well.

Regards!

------------
I know enough to know I don't know enough.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Tlaloc
Community Member

Dallas, TX
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 8:58pm

The main reason to increase Vdsat of current mirrors is to minimize the effect of channel-length modulation, i.e. λ.  If you make L longer, λ is decreased.  That also tends to increase Vdsat.  However, there is also an independent effect of λ from the bias condition, i.e. decreasing current through a device of fixed size decreases λ.

In short, maximizing Vdsat also maximizes the output resistance.  Infinite output resistance makes ideal current sources which is the intent of current mirrors.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2008, 7:19am

Hi PalmRunner &  Tlaloc,

Thanks for your replies. PalmRunner's point is really something new!! But I'm not sure how much Vt variation ocurs after manufacturing. I mean if Vt  variation is large then the circuit that is generating the Vgs will also undergo some changes, which will make Vgs to vary also. So, I'm not sure whether this is the reason. That is my doubt, I may be wrong. May be you were referring to some other vt variation, not due to manufacturing.

What is the dependency of lambda on vdsat? As far as I know vdsat = (vgs-vt)/1.2 in strong inversion. I agree increasing L reduces mismatch, but I do not agree that it also increases vdsat!!

I have heard of some other explanation., I

In strong inversion the mismatch problem is reduced!!

I wonder why??

If the above statement is accepeted then yes, we need to have large vdsat values, as it implies strong inversion.

But why strong inversion....

It seems to be accepatable becoz strong inversion means all the square law equations of MOS (that we typically use for hand calculation) hold more accurately, the more we go to weaker inversion, the models become less reliable.  So the simulation results are no longer  reliable  :-X

Although in many other circuits where volage swing becomes important, we cannot afford to have such large vdsat values. For example, in low power supply cases. But we still maintain a reasonable vdsat value, >= 140mV!!  i.e. we still try to maintain strong inversion whenever possible.

Is reliabilty of the simualtion models the only issue???

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2008, 10:42pm

Hi all,

I recommend you to read the following paper:

Peter Kinget and Michiel Steyaert , Impact of transistor mismatch on the speed-accuracy-power trade-off of analog CMOS circuits ; IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference ; 1996 .

Maybe this will help to clarify the confusions in this discussion.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2008, 7:50am

Hi Berti,

Thanks a lot. This should answer a lot of queries, nevermind give rise to some new ones  :)

Thnx!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.