The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 8:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO design (Read 8798 times)
spanandiyer1979

LDO design
Oct 29th, 2008, 11:45am

hi

i have to design a low drop out regulator with an input voltage range of 2.8+/-10% , output voltage of 1.8V and a load current of 10mA to 50mA.I am new to LDO design. Can anybody let me know the design methodology for this ldo. i mean from the system specs , down to the amplifier specs etc. any pointers would be helpful.

thanks
anand

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: LDO design
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2008, 12:35pm

Hi spanandiyer1979,

I donīt know your technical/theoretical background - therefore, please excuse me if I tell you something what you already know.
Searching in the internet you certainly will find a lot of papers, contributions and documents about LDOīs.
However, my recommendation is, before starting with LDO design to become familiar with the basics of control theory.

A LDO is a system with feedback, which is designed based on certain rules derived from control theory. At least you should know what the following terms mean (hopefully I didnīt forget something):

Positive/negative feedback, stability, loop gain, stability/phase margin,
Bode and Nyquist diagrams, pole/zero distribution and their relationship to the dynamic properties of a system,....

Regards and good luck.
Buddypoor

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
spanandiyer1979

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2008, 11:28am

Hi Buddypoor

I have a good background on electrical engineering and I am used to designing PLLs. So I am familiar with the things you mentioned. I was looking at obtaining a design methodology for a fully integrated LDO(meaning no external capacitance at the output) with the specifications mentioned.

Please let me know if you could direct me to specific papers etc since the discrete designs available in ti.com use external capacitors.

Thanks
Anand

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2008, 12:35pm

Hello,

Iīm not sure if the following document link contains some interesting information for you; itīs a 109 page description of an LDO design process.

http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/other/LDOBk.pdf

Regards
LvW

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2008, 12:30am

I think Dr. Rincon-Mora's thesis is a good source.
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/rincon-mora/publicat/books/thesis/

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2009, 10:59pm

LDO regulators can be very tough to design.  The biggest issue is usually that you need to be stable for a huge range of loads while not consuming much power in your error amp.

You also have to take care of reliability with good layout for latchup and ESD immunity.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.