The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 4:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PTAT current source design with configurable tempco (Read 4477 times)
AnalogDE

PTAT current source design with configurable tempco
Jan 08th, 2009, 8:39pm

I need to design a PTAT-like current source with a configurable tempco.  I need the current to increase with increasing temperature.  The circuit cannot be trimmed at two temperature points, so I would like the tempco to be based on a ratio of matched resistors/devices.  Is this possible?  If so, could you give me some pointers and/or references?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: PTAT current source design with configurable tempco
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009, 4:04am

Just an idea: Use a bandgap. Instead of completely canceling the tempco adjust it in a way that it fits the wanted tempco. I think in a bandgap this is done by resistor ratio which can easily be reconfigured.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Nimrod Ben-Ari

Israel
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2009, 5:16am

another option is using a sub-threshold current source, trimming the resistor would change the temperature dependency.

Nimrod

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2009, 5:00am

Hi Jiesteve,

Either the bandgap based on BJTs or sub-threshold current source, the PTAT (Proportional To Absolute Temperature) derives from a voltage difference that is PTAT. The PTAT voltage is applied on both terminals of a resistor, so PTAT current flows through the resistor. Don't forget that the resistor always has non-zero temp coeffecient whatever it is made of, like nwell, poly, and diffusion.

Nonetheless, you might make a resistor made of more than one type of material, one with positive temp coeffecient, the other with negative temp coeffecient. They are put in series or parallel. Choose the ratio of both type of material to let the the combined resistor is of zero temp coeffecient. Just try it. Good luck.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.