The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
colpitts oscillator (Read 3016 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
colpitts oscillator
Nov 03rd, 2008, 10:55pm

hi,
   can any body please explain  current  in  mos fet in colpits oscillator? current seems  like spiky.i just want to ask u guys  why current is flowing only when o/p voltage is -ve?Here i am referring common gate colpits oscillator?

Thank you.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: colpitts oscillator
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2008, 9:58am

Hi,
raja.cedt by spiky you mean that the MOS switch between on/off?, then it's one of the operating point for colpitts oscillator(always in saturation, saturation and cut-off or linear and saturation). Derivation comes from a large signal analysis of that oscillator and ends with something like this:
Vout≈IbiasRp(5+x)/12;
where:
Ibias-->bias current
Rp--->equivalent resistance at the drain
x--> a parameter that determines the operating region of the transistor, it varies from -1 to 1(-1 always in saturation, 1 always in cut-off).
From the expression it can be seen that the duty cycle that maximizes output amplitude it's an always off transistor(although in reality it will not oscillate).
Hope it helps,
PD: some references about this issue
“Exact calculation of oscillation amplitude and predicting power consumption for CMOS Colpitts oscillators”, Qiuting
Huang; Circuits and Systems, 1997. ISCAS '97., Proceedings of 1997 IEEE International Symposium on , Volume: 2 , 9-
12 June 1997, Page(s): 1401 -1404 vol.2
“Output voltage analysis for the MOS Colpitts oscillator”, Mayaram, K.; Circuits and Systems I: Fundamental Theory and
Applications, IEEE Transactions on , Volume: 47 Issue: 2 , Feb. 2000, Page(s): 260 -263

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.